I hadn't heard of HoudahGeo before, so I looked it up. I think a trial will
explain how it works pretty clearly.

Now, personally: I don't really care about geotagging my photos very often.
When I want to be able to figure out where something was taken, I make a snap
shot with my iPhone which automatically encodes and includes the GPS
coordinates. I can then copy and paste them to any other photo as metadata in
Lightroom.