Am 31.01.19 um 03:20 schrieb Rick Womer:
how does the information from the Garmin get associated with the photos? Is it
linked to the camera somehow?

The Garmin records a track of the day's itinerary with times and positions. Later at home, track and photos are separately downloaded into the computer.

The HoudahGeo software then takes each photo, looks at what time it was taken, finds the corresponding position data in the Garmin's track and writes them into the EXIF data of the RAW file.

That easy. :-)

@Godders:

I do a lot of documentary photography of industrial sites, mostly over many years. This creates loads of pictures and GPS tagging helps in quickly identifying all photos of a certain location when I'm looking for one to illustrate e.g. a blog posting.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog  : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com