Thanks to William Robb, Bill Casselberry and Bob S., I think I have
at least temporarily fixed the problem. The Motor Drive A appears to
work fine today with a roll of 24 exp. after I took listers' advice,
disassembled the rewind crank and cleaned the small amount of black
crud off of the shaft and I applied a shot of Teflon dry spray lube
after cleaning. Now the rewind crank seems a bit smoother. I also hit
the motor drive interface (the part that actually winds) with some dry
lube after cleaning any crud I could see off of it.

Flawless operation for 24 shots, we will see how it goes next, but I
guess
I need to find some subjects for photography if I'm going to test it any
further.

A follow up question- why is the drive so sensitive to a tiny amount of
dirt
in the camera? I'm afraid that the drive is marginal, if it can't
overcome a
bit of friction.

If I can, I'm going to see what can be done about fixing the problem- is
there a way to get this thing fixed permanently? I'm afraid that the
replacement
from KEH will exhibit the same problem, just a matter of time.

Taka