Rick,

You aren’t the first person to mess up a lightroom catalog.  My specialty is
cleaning files off my travel computer, and finding out months later that I
hadn’t copied all of them onto my main system.

> On May 3, 2020, at 11:03 AM, Rick Womer <rickpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Doug.
>
> My internal and photo hard drives are backed up to two external hard drives
> daily, and to Backblaze every evening.
>
> Now that I get around to reading backup info on the Lightroom site, I learn
> that Time Machine and LR don’t like each other very much.

In your situation, what I’d try:

Make copies of all of your lightroom catalogs (maybe no previews) on an
external drive.

In lightroom, find all the photos still in your catalog that were modified in
the past month, export those to a separate catalog.

Rename your current catalog so that it doesn’t get stomped on my time machine.

Try restoring from time machine, see if that works.

If that doesn’t work, open up your last backup as a catalog.  Import the
catalog of photos edited in the past month.

At some place along the line, you’ll probably want to use the find missing
photos feature.

> The most recent LR catalog backup is a month old, alas.

I have LR set to default backup once a week.

> I’ve considered replacing the catalog with a backup a last resort; my
> experience with other software is that such things aren’t at all simple.

You don’t have to replace it, you can just open the backup as a catalog itself
and see if it works.  I’d still backup all your lrcat files to someplace safe,
just in case.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com