Thank you, Larry and Toine for your responses.

I am not looking for 360-degrees panos, just the "classical" ones, - some 120-240 degrees.

I was asking myself, how would I imagine the "ideal" online interface.

I remember that a few years ago, I've found a software kit called "GMap
image cutter", https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/casa/gmap-image-cutter ,
based on the Google Maps API, which generates a bunch
of tiles at different "zoom"/detail levels, so that you can zoom and pan
like you do with Google Maps.
I've done 1 photo that way. (Sorry it was a school photo, so for
privacy reasons I cannot post it here.)
Right now, it produces an error, similar to that with the examples from
authors of that package:
http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/googlemaps/house.html
I suspect that Google has changed the API and it is not
backward compatible.
(I've found some other script(s) that also use Google Maps API, - with the same problem.)

I hope there is some functionally similar solution that doesn't depend on the Google (or any other) API that might change without a warning.

Igor