I’ve been using a Pentax Slide Holder 1X K with Pentax K extension tube #3, a
reversing adapter, and a Pentax-M 50mm macro attached to a MFT* digital camera,
lit by a Kaiser light table. It’s very quick and the results are good, at least
for use as proofs.

Nikon has a setup like it, based around the ES-2 adapter, D850 camera and a
60mm macro lens, specifically for digitising slides & negs, but for some reason
they only output jpeg.

*with a full-frame digital camera a different set of tubes/lens might be needed
but the principle is the same of course, and there would be increased
resolution from not cropping the unused bits of the 4/3rds frame. But I don’t
have a full frame colour digital camera.