> On May 1, 2023, at 9:54 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godfreydigio...@me.com> wrote:
>
> I scan a few slides and negatives from time to time using a copy-camera
> approach now, with very good quality results. That's a doable prospect,
> rather than doing hundreds to thousands of slides.

> On May 1, 2023, at 10:54 AM, Bob W PDML <pdm...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve been using a Pentax Slide Holder 1X K with Pentax K extension tube #3, a
> reversing adapter, and a Pentax-M 50mm macro attached to a MFT* digital
> camera, lit by a Kaiser light table. It’s very quick and the results are
> good, at least for use as proofs.
> …
> *with a full-frame digital camera a different set of tubes/lens might be
> needed but the principle is the same of course, and there would be increased
> resolution from not cropping the unused bits of the 4/3rds frame. But I don’t
> have a full frame colour digital camera.

BobW,

Sounds like my setup but instead of a dedicated slide holder attachment for the
camera, I use a macro lens and a film carrier with the camera on a copy stand
and a flat-panel light box providing the illumination. It's a bit more setup
work, but very flexible.

The film carrier I use is "The Essential Film Holder" … I have frames and
guides for 35mm slide, strip, 24x65 ultrawide 35, 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x9 formats.

For 35mm slides, I mostly use the Leica CL (APS-C format) which allows a lower
magnification to fill the frame and nets about 22-24 Mpixel depending on how
fussy I am with framing setup. For capture speed, it's best to be a little
loose and lose a couple Mpixels with cropping in post. Lately, I've been using
the Leica M10-M for B&W negatives: It has more dynamic range than the color
sensor and with 40 Mpixel full frame I can get extremely nice results even with
6x6 negatives (resulting scan is ~26 Mpixel to capture a full square neg).

Here's a little Flickr.com album where I document the camera setup, the EFH,
and show a couple of recent slide scans I did with an old slide or three I
found in my files from high school days.

  https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAhtoP

If anyone is interested in The Essential Film Holder, see
https://clifforth.co.uk/ for details.

—
No matter where you go, there you are.
--