Hi, Bob,

Just a note about size and grip of the MX.  For longer lenses, I screw on my Winder
MX.  It makes a great grip, and makes the body a bit taller than my Spotmatics.  A
non-working
Winder MX can be gotten very cheaply on eBay, if you only want to use it as a grip.
On "continuous", it only shoots 2 frames per second (which is all I need - when I do
use the motor
drive, I usually have it on "single" anyway).

The Motor Drive MX, which is the one that you refer to as shooting 5 fps (I know you
were only referring to it to show that the winding mechanism is very sturdy) has an
external
battery pack, and is much for cumbersome for that.

Just a few additional thoughts to your well-thought-out points...

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it
is true." -J. Robert