Jeff,

Having owned in the past and perhaps buying again the Epson 2450 - I
can tell you from personal experience that scanning negs with it is
easier and gives better results than scanning slides.  I would
consider using negative film and using either Agfa Optima II 100 or
Konica Impressa 50 for pure scenics (yes they both come in 120 size)
and Fuji Reala or Kodak Portra VC films for general use.

On my last trip to Hawaii, I took the 67 and shot a mix of
Reala/Portra negative film and Provia 100F/Agfa RSXII 100 slide film.
Working with the Epson 2450, I was much happier with the negative
scans than the slide scan.  The slides look fantastic under a loup,
but I have yet to create as good a print.

HTH,

Bruce