In my case I doubt that!

>  I've decided I won't take anything
> as personal, and I hope you guys do not.

Nope, pretty thick skinned in general - especially when it comes to
email!

> I feel generally self-conscious about my
> results. Several have been enlarged by my parents and hang on
> walls, and some friends have bought prints from me.  Yet
> mostly, I keep the results to myself and appreciate them on
> my own.  I feel like a bad photographer and hate my
> surrounding environment as not picturesque.

I know these feelings!  If you have sold stuff then you have done pretty
well.  I don't even show a lot of my stuff, except on the web to people
I don't even know that well.  Most of my 'real life' friends are not
interested in photography, so it is purely for my own pleasure that I do
it.  I am a pretty harsh photo critic, so often dissapointed with what I
do.

> I am taking a course at night to improve my skills, that starts next
week.
> We'll see what happens (though I generally shutdown in the winter).

I did the course thing for a while, but work got in the way.  Best thing
I ever did was learn to get up for dawn - the light is fantastic!

Keep on posting - do you have any stuff on-line?