When I did a lot if hill and mountain climbing, I used to do the
opposite.  I wore thin, stretchy gloves with rubber 'blobs' for grip,
under knitted fingerless gloves.  This gave me enough precision and
mobility for any task, but stopped the ends falling off!  Mind you, UK
winters are not as cold as yours - I would probably add big mittens on
top (wow, 3 layers!)  if I went somewhere seriously cold.