On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 00:50:51 -0400, Brad Dobo wrote:

>Hey guys and gals,
>
>As some of you already know, I'm taking a non-credit Basic Photography
>course, it is *basic*, but I need it to get in to the more advanced and
>specialized courses.  So, funny thing tonight in case.  I'm a nerd who will
>usually sit up front and be attentive.  Tonight I happened to look around me
>and see the other types of cameras people had.  It was manditory to have an
>SLR.  Saw some really old Nikons, some other older cameras I couldn't make
>out, and the newer consumer type SLRS from the big 4, silver tops and
>all....  Actually the only Pentax there (in my class) was me and my MZ-S
>:(  I hoped at the beginning of the course that I may meet another Pentax
>user and try some lenses out :)  Anyway, one lady had....get this...a Nikon
>F5 and what looked to be one serious piece of glass.  So Nikon F5 girl gets
>asked a question, 'Give me an ISO speed'.  (Told you this was basic!! :))
>Her answer, was "f/5.6", he said no, try again, she said "1/60" I was really
>trying now to not laugh.  I didn't thankfully, BUT because of this ladies
>ignorance, we all got a stupid refresher on ISO,  reciprocity, and basic
>exposure.  Yes, this was not the first class and it was review from the past
>week.  F5.....unbelieveable!
>
>Ok, now my help needed.  We have an assignment.  It's called 'Colour!'  Each
>student was given a different colour, being first on the list, I got red, an
>easy colour.  However, I want to impress the instructor.  We have been given
>a roll of Kodak Max Gold 200 24 exp. and we have to have 10 different
>'subjects' of red.  (ie, if you got green, he doesn't want 10 different
>green plants)  I have a few good ideas.  I really want to use as many rules
>of composure as possible.  So I'm looking for ideas!!!  So far, I think I'll
>do a firetruck (good friend is a firefighter and he'll have me out when they
>just had one washed and pull it out for me to shoot.  Another idea is the
>Canadian flag (but I'm stuck on HOW to take a good shot of one), a red
>flower or plant (obviously), my sister who is very much model-like in a red
>dress.  That's it I think.  Only been home an hour.  Restrictions, NO
>filters, NO flash, NO repeats, ONE roll.  Also, we can take up to the 24
>exp. but he will develop them and give us the prints and have us pick our
>'top 10' for evaluation.  I have some others that are tricky (one is a pet
>shot) but would like to steer clear of them because we all know how
>difficult that can be and I don't want to waste a single frame.
>
>So, IDEAS, IDEAS, IDEAS!!!!!!!! :)  And for the F5 girl....just another
>example showing it isn't the equipment you have, but your skill/talent.
>
>Brad Dobo

How about a redhead, or a red sunrise/sunset?  A red traffic signal?  A red barn?
Apples
are red in Canada aren't they?  It is getting to be the time of year when the leaves
change
color and some of them would be on topic. How about a Mountie in his dress uniform?
And
remember, compositoin rules are made to be broken...

John Mullan