On 4 Oct 2002 at 17:57, Kevin Waterson wrote:

> I was thinking of giving the Digital a miss...
> I was reading a recent article in 'Australian Photography'
> and it got me thinking, yes, Photography is going digital
> but still has a way to go yet.
>
> With the advent of photography, people said this would be
> the end of artists. Yet many artists still survive using
> techniques ages old and there has been quite a boon in
> artistic supplies such as pre-stretched canvases etc.
> It also occured to me that the 'paperless society' and
> internet had not stopped me from purchasing a magazine.

Hi Kevin,

Whilst I do agree that film will still be around for some time and that MF
offers significant quality advantages over digital image capture equipment that
is affordable by mere mortals I would like to offer another analogy.

I believe the introduction of digital image capture to photography is more akin
to the introduction of acrylic paints as an addition to the long standing oil
paints, painting remains it's just that there is more choice in media.

> So my thoughts have changed somewhat towards digital.
> I know the pro's and cons and feel that many will
> convert to digital, others will stay with film whatever
> the digital quality may give. Photo Journalists will
> be among the top buyers of digital I imagine.

Don't view digital as something that has to be converted to, it can quite
readily co-exist with existing media it just provides more choices to the
adventurous photographer it's not just a tool for PJs.

> Anywho, I was thinking perhaps I do not need to be
> rid of my PENTAX equipment in favour of a digital
> <insert brand here>. Infact I may be better off
> to purchase a 645nII and leave the digital to the
> PJ's and save a bundle on batteries.

Batteries are a one per two year purchase, memory cards are virtually good
until they are damaged, film costs every time you load your camera and MF
provides less shots per film. The 645 is a wonderful tool however I'd sooner
take a digicam to the car races for a day than waste 300+ exposures over 20
films using a 645.

> So finally a 645nII question... or 2
> How much do I stand to gain over 35mm with the MF
> with regards to grain?
> What sort of backs are available?

There are currently three backs, 120, 220 and 70mm and since Photokina talk of
an NPC digital back for some time in the future.

> I know I can adapt my 35mm lens for use with the
> 645 but what range of lenses are available for
> the 645 and how do they compare in price?

P645 lenses can be used on your Pentax 35mm body with the aid of an adaptor,
you can't use 35mm lenses on a P645, you can however use P67 lenses on a P645
with an adaptor.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA