I'd love to be able to agree.  I think this probably depends on the scanner.
My Pacific Image Primefilm 3600 "Pro"  does a decent job on slides provided
there is not dark detail to wring out.  It poops all over dark slides, but
then I got it for about $500.  Its limitations have turned me into a die-hard
negative film shooter, which I purty much was before I bought it.  I mean,
used Pentaxes are _cheap_, Gold 100 is _cheap_, and I'm a _cheap_ ole fart...

-Lon