Here's a paragraph from the web source Robert Soames Wetmore posted,
which is:

http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/v17/msg11841.html

Mike Johnston is speaking here:

"In 1997 I helped introduce a new term into the lexicon of North American
photographers: "bokeh," which was my own rendering of a katakana term
more properly romanized as _bo-ke_ or boke (a spelling which provoked a
hail of puns and jokes on a pronunciation that was totally incorrect).
It's the Japanese word meaning "blur," specifically the visual
properties of the way a lens renders out-of-focus areas in pictures.
_PHOTO Techniques_ presented three articles on the subject: "What is
'Bokeh'?" By John Kennerdell, an American-born photographer based in
Bangkok; "Notes on the Terminology of Bokeh" by Oren Grad, an M.D. /
Ph.D. researcher at Abt Associates in Cambridge, MA; and "A Technical
View of Bokeh" by Harold Merklinger, who is Senior Scientist at the
Canadian Defense Establishment Atlantic in Halifax, N.S."

All these senior scientists' and researchers' emanations are probably
suspect too, because they were found "online," not so?

keith