On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 11:39  AM, gfen wrote:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Paul Stenquist wrote:
The harshness or smoothness of the bokeh -- or out of focus elements --
is dependent on much more than the lens and the way it renders things.
How distant they are from the camera determines their rendering more
than any other element. The lighting is critical as well.
I'm going to sit down with a roll of film, a bag of lenses, and my tripod
in the near future and take the same set of images over, and over, and
over again with each lens just to get a feel for what does what.. I'll
post to the net when I'm complete, in case its of note to anyone.

I'm hoping to find a fence line so that it recedes, and I can take it at
an angle and watch it fade outk, but we'll see what I can turn up. Figure
on eahc lens wide open and closed up two stops (so that it uses teh
aperature blades and not just the barrel of the lens), at the extremes of
each lens and perhaps in the middle, as well.

It should proove to be a collossal waste of time and film. :)

Belly up to the nearest chainlink fence, wedge a variety of odds and ends, shiny and flat, into it and you should be set.

Dan Scott