> Fred wrote:

>> The FA* 85/1.4 also has a much nicer focus feel (due to the clutch),
>> than the 77 Ltd, in my opinion.

> Not in my opinion. The 77 Limited has a more weighty feel closer
> to older manual focus lenses.

I think I see what you are saying, Paal.  The 77/1.8 does have a
firmer feel (i.e., more resistance), and I generally prefer that,
too.

However, as I have pointed out before (and I know that I am in the
minority on this one), I strongly dislike the "whirring" feel that
many autofocus lenses (including the 77/1.8 and the 43/1.9) produce
when being focused manually, due to the gear train that is being
forced to move within the lens (unless there is a clutch to take the
gear train out for manual focusing).

I can tolerate the "whirring" feel on the F* 300/4.5, but I really
don't like it on most of the other "clutchless" autofocus lenses
I've tried.

Fred