To me, the most valuable features of PhotoShop are those that allow fine
tuning of a scan for printing. I usually begin by setting the "Levels."
I set RGB level in respect to the histogram but frequently set the color
levels by eye. "Hue and Saturation" is next. I'll adjust the overall
colorcast a bit and work on the individual colors if necessary. I can
generally apply a bit more saturation to my scans, but I have to be
careful not to overdo it. The lightness control can also be effective if
the scan looks a bit heavy or light. If I don't like the contrast, I'll
tweak the RGB some more in "Curves." I also use Curves to reduce a color
that seems too dominant. I sometimes reduce shadows or overly dominant
midtones with the "Dodge" tool. Less frequently, I'll burn in some
midtones with the "Burn" tool. I've tried burning in highlites, but it
just seems to gray them off. However, a little is sometimes effective.
Dodging highlites is very effective if they're not bright enough.
Sometimes, I find I want to adjust the mix of a specific color, for that
I go to "Selective Color." I've found, for example, that one can
enrichen reds by adding a bit of black to them. Adding black to black
can create a crisper overall look without affecting highlites or
midtones. Adding or subtracting color to neutrals can help control an
unwanted reflection or unnatural lighting.
PhotoShop is fun, and the more you play, the more you learn.
Paul Stenquist