Jack,

Peirce did define “belief” as a willingness to act, and as such, I would say a 
belief is not really “hardened” until one does, in fact, act. But I think, at 
least if we take “action” as essential to – i.e., not just an attribute of – 
“belief,” a lot of \verbiage that comes out around the word is irrelevant, if 
not outrightly misleading. And, as for Peirce himself, I’m not sure either how 
faithful he was to this understanding of “belief" in all he wrote.

Anyway, It was refreshing to see this line of thought popping up in the 
discussion, and I hope you’re able to pursue it further.

Thanks,
Tom.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
►  <a href="mailto:[email protected]";>UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEIRCE-L</a> . 
But, if your subscribed email account is not your default email account, then 
go to
https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and 
co-managed by him and Ben Udell.

Reply via email to