Cathy, Gary, List,

This is a response to a thread that started on the biosemiotics list [5459] Re:
What kind of sign is ANYTHING called . . .

Cathy has asked some questions about the character of what exists, Gary F. has
provided a reminder that we should think of Nature as a whole as a Great
Mind--call is the Universe of Discourse--and that the existent objects in this
world are but a part of this larger whole.  For the sake of teasing out some of
the claims, t might be helpful to draw on some distinctions that are
highlighted by Richard Smyth in <Reading Peirce Reading>.

In his reading of "Questions Concerning Certain Faculties Claimed for Man,"
Smyth provides a neo-Platonic interpretation of Peirce's theory of cognition.
He divides the discussion into three parts:  that which deals with knowledge
itself, that which deals with the owners of knowledge, and that which deals
with the objects of knowledge.
With respect to the part of the theory that deals with knowledge itself, he
interprets Peirce's argument as being built on a set of assumptions that commit
him to infinitism in the metatheory.  With respect to the third part of the
theory that deals with the objects of knowledge, he interprets Peirce's
argument as being built on a fundamental tenet of Aristotelian empiricism.
That is, "in the order of epistemological causation, the objects come first in
this sense:  any initiation of a movement or change in the concepts that result
in knowledge has to be caused by the dynamic objects of the knowledge."

Some of the questions that have recently been asked seem to center on this idea
about the objects coming first in the order of epistemological causation.  As
such, I'd like to explore some ideas that have been tossed around in our recent
discussion about the contrasts between the mind like character of the objects
of inquiry and the brute existence of those objects.

Referring to the Universe of Discourse as an subject for inquiry is something
we do in logic when we've moved to the level of meta-theory.  Referring to the
objects that exist in the world is a fine way to talk when we are thinking like
an Aristotelian empiricist.  This kind of discourse finds a natural home in our
common experience, in the special sciences, and in our theory of cognition when
we are building an account of the objects of knowledge.

Moving back and forth between levels of discourse may cause
confusion--especially when, in developing a semiotic theory, we are tempted to
draw metaphysical conclusions about the nature of the individual existents and
the general regularities we are studying in metaphysics.  Smyth cites the
following passage from Plotinus as a way of pointing to the difficulties we
face in working on a semiotic theory:  "Since we are compelled to think of
existence as preceding that which knows it we can but think that the Beings are
the actual content of the knowing principles and that the very act, the
intellection, is inherent in the Beings, as the fire stands equipped from the
beginning with the fire-act; in this conception, the Beings contain the
Intellectual-Principle as one and the same with themselves, as their own
activity."

Smyth asks:  "What is the source of the impulse to find signs of something
'mind-like' in the objects of knowledge?"

It is a good question.  Getting straight on the answer is crucial, I think, for
providing an adequate interpretation of the arguments he is developing his
theory of cognition.  Any thoughts about the answer?

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy