Vinicius, List,

You provide the following account of Peirce's conception of a dynamic object:
it is independent of any purpose that I, you or any number of minds could have
in our reasoning."  It is the "efficient cause of semeiosis."

I'd like to ask a question about the manner in which the dynamic object
operates:  is it an efficient cause of semiosis, as you suggest, or is it the
final cause of semiosis?

Here are two glosses on the conception:   Ransdell describes the dynamic object
as the “object as it really is”, (1977, 169) and Hookway describes it as “the
object as it is known to be [at the end of inquiry].” (1985, 139)  Both agree
with your first description as something that is independent of what you or I
happen to think about it.

Having said that, Ransdell's gloss seems open to an interpretation as either an
efficient or a final cause.  Hookway's gloss seems to suggest that it is
operating as a final cause.

Do you disagree with Hookway?  I'm wondering what textual evidence you have for
thinking the dynamical object should be understood primarily or solely as
something that operates as an efficient cause.

I tend to think that much depends upon the character of the dynamical object
we're talking about and the relationship between this object and one or another
sign or interpretant that is operating in a semiotic process.  That is, actual
objects (e.g., a ball flying through the air) are related as efficient causes
to the indices that draw our attention in a particular direction.  Real objects
(e.g., a real law that governs the forces operating between the earth and the
mass) are related as final causes to the explanations that are offered as
interpretations of the public signs of those objects.

Hope that helps to clarify some points where we may disagree about Peirce's
conception.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor