Jerry, List,

You make the following claim:  "In today's mathematics, a chemical icon is an
exact mathematical object, a labelled bipartite graph."  I'd like to ask:  if
we understand the chemical icon to be a formal diagram involving vertices and
lines like the ones that Peirce uses in his discussions of possible diagrams of
chemical molecules, then what might be missed if we analyze the diagrams using
bipartite graphs as a logical tool?

For now, I'd like to set to the side a number of points you make that I would
consider matters of metaphysics.  The question of whether Peirce's
phenomenology and semiotics provides the conceptual tools needed to establish a
metaphysics that will be adequate to explain the real nature of molecules and
molecular relations is a difficult question, and it's one that I wait until the
discussion of the chapter on metaphysics to broach.

Having set such issues to the side, I'd like to focus on a set of points you
make that starts with the mathematics of formal graphs, runs into the
phenomenological account of the categories, and then proceeds into Peirce's
critical grammar.  Starting with the math, you say that Peirce's understanding
of graph theory is based on diagrams used to study chemical relations.  I'll
grant that much.  Sylvester explored these kinds of diagrams to examine
character of algebraic invariants, and Peirce drew on the same kinds of
chemical diagrams for a number of mathematical and logical purposes.  One of
Peirce's purposes was to to challenge a claim Kempe makes in his essay on
mathematical form.  Kempe asserts that all mathematical objects, relations and
inferences can be analyzed in terms of a simple set of graphs that he developed
for the purpose.  Peirce denies the claim.  He argues that the analysis of the
objects, relations and inferences in any part of mathematics requires triadic
relations.  In effect, he is claiming that the proper analysis of the relations
between monads, dyads and triads, is obscured in Kempe's account.

Let me see if I can turn one of the points Peirce makes in his argument against
Kempe against a 20th or 21st century analysis of mathematical form in terms of
bipartite graphs.  Like a modern bipartite graph, the main elements of Kempe's
system are nodes and edges.  In this system we treat every vertex in a diagram
as a node, and every line that connects vertices as edges.  I'm no expert in
graph theory, but my understanding is that a graph is bipartite if all of the
nodes can be grouped into two sets in such a fashion that every line connecting
vertices in a given formal diagram are represented by edges connecting nodes in
one or the other of two sets.  See, for instance, the WikiPedia entry on
bipartite graphs for a simple explanation and a set of examples.  In order to
have an example before us, let's consider the graph at the top of that webpage:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Simple-bipartite-graph.svg

What concerns does Peirce have about the use of these kinds of graphs as a tool
for analyzing the objects, relations and inferences used in one or another area
of mathematical inquiry?  Well, it would help to have a clear example of a
mathematical diagram.  That way, we have an example of a diagram that is being
analyzed and an example of the kind of graph that can be used to analyzed it.
The diagram that Peirce draws on in the Harvard Lectures of 1903 in his
argument against Kempe is Pappus' proof of the 9-ray theorem in projective
geometry.

You seem to be saying that Peirce's analysis of mathematical form is inadequate
because it fails to take into account the kinds of developments that were made
in the 20th century as work in graph theory marched forward.  I beg to differ.
My hunch is that these bipartite graphs obscure the very same points that Kempe
obscured.  As such, we should be careful if we intend to use such mathematical
systems to explore the adequacies or inadequacies of Peirce's approach to
analyzing the possible systems of hypotheses that might lie at the foundations
of any area of mathematics and the inferences that can be drawn from such
hypotheses.

What is being obscured?  In short, the bipartite graphs allow several edges to
meet on one node.  What Peirce analyzes the form of such intersections, he says
that allowing this kind of combination fails to bring out the dyadic or triadic
character of the relations being analyzed.  As such, he fundamental elements of
experience studied in the phenomenological theory are diagrammed as a node with
a single bonding site (e.g., a monad), a straight line with two bonding sites
(e.g., a dyad), and a branching line with three bonding sites (e.g., a triad).
I think there is much to be gained by using these kinds of figures in the
graphs we construct to analyze the objects, relations and inferences in
mathematical (or any other) kind of reasoning.  To press one of Peirce's
points, what is needed in the way of a formal graph if we're going to analyze
the character of the projective space in which the diagram of Pappus' theorem
is constructed.  It is a two-dimensional surface, and it is different from
other surfaces in that there is a peculiar twist in the space.  One of the
things that Pappus's proof enables us to see--and I mean literally "see"--is
the commutivity of the mathematical space that contains the lines, points and
rays of the diagrams used it the proof.  The key thing that we see is that it
wouldn't matter how the lines are moved in this space.  Any movement would
result in the rays intersecting in fashion that produces three points that are
collinear.  Peirce insists that seeing this relationship is crucial to the
proof, and that the analysis of what it is that we're seeing is obscured if we
think of the formal relations as nothing more than nodes and edges where more
several edges meet at one node.  It's not just a matter of not seeing what is
being packed into the meeting of those several edges at this one node.  Rather,
we don't see the order involved in constructing the rays and the intersection
of those rays.  In effect, the act of constructing those rays and intersections
is what defines the character of the surface as a two dimensional projective
space.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor