Jeff wrote (040714-1) and (040714-2):

". . . I don't believe that I'm using monad, dyad and        (040714-1)
triad to refer to the number of nodes in a network."

If my classification of the networks shown in Table 1 is correct, you are
indeed not using the terms “monad”, “dyad”, and “triad” to refer to the
number of nodes in a network but rather the number of edges (which is
synonymous with your “binding sites”) of a network (see the last two
columns in Table 1).

Table 1.   A network representation of the Peircean “medad”,
           “monad”, “dyad”, and “triad”.

                                       Number of
                             ________________________________

Name (N)       network       nodes*    binding     edges
                                       sites (x)

medad          o             1         0           0
(1-node N,
or a point)

monad          o – x         2         1           1
(2-node N)

Dyad           x – o – x     3         2           2
(3-node N)

triad             o          4         3           3
(4-node N)       / \
                x   x

*There are two kinds of nodes – the focal (denoted by “o”) and the
peripheral (denoted by “x”).  The peripheral nodes are also called
“binding sites” and can be occupied by  n-node network where n can be 0,
1, 2, 3 or 4.

“As far as I can tell, it appears that your               (040714-2)
characterization of the four node network might
be doing the same thing.”

In what sense do you think the 4-node network representation of the
Peircean sign (i.e., the 4-node network in Table 1 with three x’s replaced
by representamen, object, and interpretant) is like a “bipartite system of
graphs” that “obscure relations that Peirce wanted to analyze” ?

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701