From: Sungchul Ji [s...@rci.rutgers.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 1:09 PM
To: Jeffrey Brian Downard
Cc: Sungchul Ji; Peirce List
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] de Waal Seminar: Chapter 5, Semeiotics,
or the doctrine of signs

Jeff asked:

"Given your way of putting things, let me ask the         (040714-3)
following question:  is there anything that is obscured
if you assume that there is an "internal node" at the
heart of every elementary relation?"

To the best of my knowledge, I have not found any problem represetning
Perice's sign triad in terms of the 4-node network at all.  Instead, it
gives a graphical basis for differentiating his "represetnamen" and
"sign", as I discussed in my recent email to which you reponded.

" . . . are you able to articulate the basic points        (040714-4)
Peirce is making against Kempe's analysis of mathematical
form in your terms?"

I am ignorant of the basic points that Peirce is making agaisnt Kemp's
analysis of mathemtical form.  Can you explain them to me or direct me to
appropriate links ?

Thanks.

Sung

> Sung, Jerry, List,
>
> I understand that we are using somewhat different language and graph
> systems as bases for understanding Peirce's arguments in his phenomenology
> and semiotics.  Jon has suggested that Peirce's different ways of
> diagramming these relations are hardly more than hints of ideas, so we
> should be careful about how much we derive from one or another manner of
> representing these things graphically.  I want to resist Jon's suggestion.
>  As such, let me try to restate the question.  Given your way of putting
> things, let me ask the following question:  is there anything that is
> obscured if you assume that there is an "internal node" at the heart of
> every elementary relation?  I am suggesting that any graphical system,
> including the one that you have formulated or a bipartite system of graphs
> that allows nodes to be connected to several lines (i.e. edges, relations,
> etc.) will run the risk of obscuring things that Peirce wanted to analyze
> further.
>
> I recognize that you and Jerry seem to have different dispositions towards
> the way Peirce is using graph theory to analyze these things.  You are
> saying that your system is equivalent to Peirce's and that it expresses
> the heart of what he is really trying to say.  Jerry, on the other hand,
> seems to suggest that Peirce is hamstrung by limitations that have their
> source in outmoded 19th century ways of thinking about and graphing
> chemical relations.
>
> So, let me try to state the question I've been trying to push as a
> challenge.  For those who think that the most elemental relations can be
> understood as a node with one, two or three relations jutting out from it
> (such as you have characterized them in your diagrams, and as the nodes
> and edges are characterized in the example of the bipartite graph on the
> WikiPedia site I referred to earlier), are you able to articulate the
> basic points Peirce is making against Kempe's analysis of mathematical
> form in your terms?  My hunch is that Peirce's arguments are valid, that
> they can be used against alternate analyses of the reasonings--and that
> these alternate analyses fail because they tend to obscure points about
> the elemental character of a triadic relation that Peirce wanted to make
> as clear as possible.
>
> --Jeff
>
> Jeff Downard
> Associate Professor
> Department of Philosophy
> NAU
> (o) 523-8354

>>> for the moment a pure dream -- not any particular existence, and yet
>>> not