Vinicius, Gary F, Auke, Cathy, list,

In an earlier email, Gary F. raised the following questions about two
assertions that Vinicius attributes to Peirce:

[gf] With that in mind, I don’t quite follow your argument here, and could use
some further explanation on these points:

1)  “icons do not enter our concepts as such”

2)  “depth signifies the object by applying to it percipua discriminated as
predicative terms (mortal, rational, mammal etc).”

[gf] I would say instead that the predicate signifies characters of the object
and thus furnishes the proposition with its depth.)

Having taken a look at MS 7, I'd like to ask a quick question about the first
assertion.  What is  Vinicius claiming when he says that icons don't *enter*
our concepts as such?  Looking at page 15 of the MS, I see Peirce saying the
following:  "An icon cannot be a complete sign; but it is the only sign which
directly brings the interpretant to close quarters with the meaning; and for
that reason it is the kind of sign with which the mathematician works."
Shortly after making this point, he develops the examples of the weather vane
and the photograph.

Is the first clause in what I've quoted from Peirce (i.e., An icon cannot be a
complete sign) the kind of thing you have in mind in saying that icons don't
*enter* our concepts as such?  If so, I don't see how the assertion you are
attributing to Peirce squares with his discussion on pp. 9-10 of how qualities
arise in the the combination of concepts.  The example he gives is of a person
who has no idea of what patriotism is, but who does know what love is and what
a man's country is.  What Peirce says is that the combination of these two
ideas in the thoughts of this person will give rise to the idea of
patriotism--"along with a quality of feeling which arises upon their
composition."  On my reading of this example, the quality of the feeling is a
part of the conception of patriotism.  What is more, attention to this quality
of feeling and the analysis of its character as a quality can serve as a icon
in further interpretations of the meaning of the idea of patriotism (e.g., such
as when this idea is combined with others--such as the idea of fascism).  As
Peirce says later in the quote above, this kind of icon is the only sign that
"brings the interpretant to close quarters with the meaning."

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy