Søren, you’ve given us a lot to think about(!) in this introduction to the
final chapter of Kees’ book, and I can only focus on a couple of key words
here: “mystical” and “revelation”.

I’m aware of the place in the Brent biography (revised ed., p. 210)
referring to “an unsent letter from Peirce’s hand describing a mystical
revelation.” Yet I’m not aware of any passage in Peirce’s published writings
— and I mean published now, not just published during his lifetime — where
he applies the term “mystical” in an unreservedly positive sense; and his
opinion of “revelation” was even less positive, as far as I can see. I’ve
also seen no clear evidence to support Brent’s claim that his “mystical
experience” at age 52 had a profound effect on his later life. I haven’t
read all the secondary sources you cite here, so maybe that’s why I haven’t
seen such evidence; but I’d like to see more specific support for your
emphasis on the “mystical” as an important element of Peirce’s religion (and
maybe a clearer definition of what that word means in Peirce).

I do agree with Raposa and others who describe Peirce as a “panentheist,”
but I don’t think that either his panentheism or his “worship of science”
places much value on either mysticism or revelation. In my view, Peirce’s
God is a combination of creative power with “reasonableness,” and that’s why
“the best way to worship him is through the religion of science.”

I haven’t included quotes from Peirce here, but I’ll be happy to do so if
you (or anyone) want to challenge my view of Peirce’s religious orientation.
Meanwhile — Thanks again for this introduction!

gary f.

} The oceanic vow of great compassion has no shore or limit, and saves
living beings with release from the harbor of suffering. [Dogen] {

 <http://www.gnusystems.ca/CSPgod.htm> www.gnusystems.ca/CSPgod.htm }{
Peirce on God