Stephen,

If the “unpublished fragment” you quote dates from 1890, how can it bear
witness to the effect on Peirce of an experience he had in 1892?

Peirce’s account of that experience says that he was drawn into St. Thomas’s
church, and up to the communion rail, “almost without my own volition.” He
wrote about it to the rector of the church, offering his services in “some
form of church work”. Then he says, “I have never before been mystical; but
now I am.” But what does that mean, pragmaticistically? What church work did
Peirce do as a result? As for his philosophical work, there is no evidence
whatsoever that this “mystical” experience, or the memory of it, had
anything to do with Peirce inventing “pragmaticism” as an alternative to
“pragmatism” 12 years later. I think you’re ignoring everything Peirce wrote
about the “natural light” during the years in between (see my post addressed
to Søren). That certainly does have a lot to do with pragmaticism.

Brent on p.210 makes a totally specious connection between this incident and
something Peirce wrote six years later, in which he says that “No amount of
speculation can take the place of experience.” But that passage is much more
genuinely connected to Peirce’s remark in his 1903 Harvard lectures that
“experience is our only teacher.” Peirce makes no mention in either place of
mystical experience, and elsewhere he makes it clear that the mystical is
just about the most inconsequential kind of experience, contributing almost
nothing to the growth of “concrete reasonableness”, which he virtually
equates with the evolution of God.

gary f.