Fra: Gary Fuhrman [mailto:g...@gnusystems.ca]
Sendt: 21. maj 2014 22:46
Til: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Emne: RE: [PEIRCE-L] De Waal seminar chapter 9, section on God, science and
religion: text 1

Søren, Ben, list,

I don’t want to downplay the affinities between Peirce and the mystics you
mention, Søren — your previous post was quite eloquent and persuasive — but I
don’t want to downplay the differences either. Peirce’s religious orientation
is, as Anderson says in Strands of System, quite idiosyncratic and hard to
classify. The idea of “the natural light” was not original with Peirce, of
course, but what he did with it is distinctive. And in my view, significantly
different from mysticism. But that’s a vague word, almost as vague as “God”, so
it would be unreasonable to argue about it any more than I already have.

Ben, thanks for the pointer to Anderson’s book (and for the other meticulous
work you posted today!) — I’d actually bought it from Google Play but hadn’t
got far into reading it yet. He does quote the whole letter to Rev. Brown, as
Brent does, but I think his comments on it are more balanced. He introduces the
text of the letter by saying: “Because Peirce did not mention the contents of
this letter elsewhere and because we do not know if he in fact sent it, it is
difficult to know how much to make of it.”

His comment at the end of it goes like this: “I do not wish to make more of
this than necessary, especially since Peirce did not see fit to make more of
the event himself. Nevertheless, it makes less problematic the fact that Peirce
began to give voice to his thinking concerning religion in the early nineties.
Moreover, it suggests one source of Peirce's ability to endure his subsequent
logician's life of increasing sacrifice and desperation.” The suggestion is
that what Peirce got from the experience, aside from an increased interest in
religion, was the strength to carry on with his philosophical quest. It doesn’t
suggest that the content of Peirce’s philosophy, or his religious beliefs, was
much affected by the experience. So that’s an alternate take on the letter
somewhat different from Brent’s and Stephen’s.

gary f.

} The train that can be expressed is not the express train. [gnox] {
www.gnusystems.ca/gnoxic.htm<http://www.gnusystems.ca/gnoxic.htm> }{ gnoxics