Fra: Eugene Halton [mailto:eugene.w.halto...@nd.edu]
Sendt: 23. maj 2014 17:38
Til: 'Peirce List'
Emne: RE: [PEIRCE-L] De Waal seminar chapter 9, section on God, science and
religion: text 1

I agree with Gary Fuhrman's point on the significance of "the natural light" as
the root for Peirce's conception of instinctive beliefs, common sensism and
practical beliefs, religion, and the potential connection of science with
religion. It opens up evolutionary questions that also can inform a critique of
religion and science.
            If "the natural light" represents some evolved resonance of human
intelligence with the laws of nature, it is, as Peirce argued, because we are
evolved out of determination by and alignment with those laws, and so are able
to have insight, in-sight, and "see the light," even with the great range of
human plasticity. So that for modern science, built on the model of Galileo's
emphasis on il lume natural, "...it is the simpler Hypothesis in the sense of
the more facile and natural, the one that instinct suggests, that must be
preferred; for the reason that unless man have a natural bent in accordance
with nature's, he has no chance of understanding nature at all." 6.477.
Something more than human must be the object which determines human beliefs, to
cite the quotation from the revised version of "The Fixation of Belief," "To
satisfy our doubts, therefore, it is necessary that a method should be found by
which our beliefs may be determined by nothing human, but by some external
permanency...by something Real..." CP 5:383-4 (revised version of "Fixation of
Belief").
            Religion, in my view, evolved into being with a very similar
outlook, taking what we feebly call nature, in its minute particulars, as the
living determinant of human belief and also object of reverence. The gods, or
"God," were insignificant or non-existent, only becoming significant much later
as human social constructions. Civilized religions turned away from the
primordial attunement to wild nature and turned toward the domesticated world,
radically altering the conception of religion, and gave rise to supernatural
conceptions of divinity as transcendent, as well as anthropocentrism. But
modern science also imposed a grid between itself and wild nature, the grid of
the machine, the clockwork grid, and derived a subnatural conception of nature.
            There can be no reconciliation between supernatural religions and
subnatural science. The filter of anthropocentrism and its human-centered
conception of supernatural divinity or transcendence is unsustainable, having
lost the touch of the earth. But so too is the filter of subnatural science,
which would disqualify the qualitative dimensions of experience, as Galileo
nominalistically did. Galileo: "I think that tastes, odors, colors, and so on
are no more than mere names so far as the object in which we locate them are
concerned, and that they reside in consciousness. Hence if the living creature
were removed, all these qualities would be wiped away and annihilated" Galileo
Galilei, The Assayer, 1623.
            The possible reconciliation of religion and science would have to
involve the broader evolutionary foraging past through which religion and
humans co-evolved, and the original natural illumination that the more one
attunes to the variescent surrounding wild living earth, practically and
reverentially, the more one becomes participant in the drama of creation. I
will call this the NEA, Neglected Evolutionary Argument. Our foraging ancestors
believed in a psycho-physical universe, and religion, as seen in numerous
ethnographies, exhibits itself as a two-sided reverential and practical way of
living in a psycho-physical universe, however fantastically imagined. Peirce's
term "Buddhisto-Christian" seems to try to get at something like this, but
simply does not go far enough to break through the Buddha-Christ human-centered
anthropomorphism endemic to these products of the past 2,500 years. But his
philosophy and appreciation of "the natural light" does allow for the longer
evolutionary perspective.

Gene