Gary, Phyllis, Gene, Søren, Stephen, Ben, list,

Thanks to all for illuminating contributions to this thread!

I’ve pretty much given up talking or writing about my quasi-mystical
experiences (to use Gary’s term), partly because others naturally don’t know
what I’m talking about, but mostly because my attempts to make them
comprehensible, no matter how ‘inspired’ they might feel at the moment, by
the next day sound like sops to Cerberus. Besides, why should anybody be
interested in my private experiences expressed in public language? I’m not
interested in them myself! What I’m always looking for is some way to sweep
aside the cognitive cobwebs that come between us and the immediate,
continuous reality that pours through our pores all the time. — But that’s
already a sop to Cerberus.

In my youth I tried to say something aphoristically, but what I’ve been
trying to do in Turning Signs for a dozen years or so is contruct an context
in which something can be said that will push the envelope of language even
while affirming its limitations. I think this requires a spirit of inquiry,
and my main inspiration for the scientific/philosophical/semiotic side of
this has been Peirce (updated where necessary). But my main inspiration from
the religious side has been Dogen (the 13th-century Zen master). What Peirce
and Dogen have in common is that they plumb experiential reality to its
depths even while pushing rational inquiry to its limits. (One good
collection of Dogen’s works is called Rational Zen, and one of the best
books about him calls him a Mystical Realist.) Of course, what I’ve learned
from both Peirce and Dogen has been determined by my own inquiry, and I’m
sure whatever any reader could learn from my book would be equally
determined by that reader’s ongoing inquiry.

I try to keep in touch with Peirce-L (though I sometimes get behind) because
it reminds me that there’s more to be learned from Peirce than my own
inquiry can comprehend, and of course the conversation here often reminds me
how deeply fallible my own comprehension is. But mostly it’s the
ever-growing, never-complete sense of the Peircean context that adds value
to the gems I manage to mine from his work and incorporate into my own
(con)text.

Which I’d better turn back to now …

} But what is that which is one going to prehend? [Finnegans Wake 223] {

 <http://www.gnusystems.ca/gnoxic.htm> www.gnusystems.ca/gnoxic.htm }{
gnoxics