Dear Jerry -
The figures in Diagrammatology are quotes from standard textbook accounts of
chemotaxis in E. Coli. So, the terminology in those figures is not mine (nor
Peirce's).
In Peircean terminology, I will consider the signs processed in the E.Coli
detection of carbohydrates as symbols - for the reason they are general (they
categorize a range of carbohydrates) and future-oriented (they are stably
repeated over time). They involve iconic aspects (the shape of active site on
the molecules categorized), just like they involve indexicality (in the shape
of the actual, momentaneous connection between the molecule and the receptor).
This complex symbol has the character of a natural proposition because it both
identifies an object in time and space - and describes it (by categorization).
Such information is summarized by the comparison of several such signs to
establish the carbohydrate gradient.  This  Dicisign then forms one premiss of
the conclusion: swim in the direction of that carbohydrate gradient.
Communication? I would rather say cognition. I think cognition in its simplest
form involves only one organism and its environment. Communication, I think,
involves at least two organisms in an enviroment - a narrower notion of
communication than identifying it with semiotic process tout court (or, even
broader, with physical interaction).
Best

Den 05/09/2014 kl. 05.50 skrev Jerry LR Chandler