Dear John, list -

There are several issues here with which I do not agree.

1) I do not think it makes any sense to say that sun and earth communicate.
There is a large-scale interaction of different physical processes between the
two. But there is arguably physical interaction between any two particles in
the cosmos. To me it generalizes the notion of communication into
insignificance to make it so wide. And what is more, it does not add anything
to our understanding of the sun-earth relationship to call it communication,
signs, etc.

2) The existing interaction between sun and earth is not a dyadic relation
only. To Peirce (but not only to him), all physical processes are to some
degree governed by law - which is thirdness. So the identification of physics
with secondness is less than obvious.

3) I think cognition is broader than communication. Cognition, I would say,
requires one organism and an environment. Communication at least two organisms
and an enviorment - and the ability to cognize what is communicated to you. To
speak about cognition and communication without organisms seem empty and
gratuitous to me.

4) In a special sense you can say there are signs and communication in the
physical world. For biology is but one tiny, very special subset of the
physical world. And that subset is semiotic. So semiotics lies as a possibility
in the physical world. But so do bubble gum, presidents and fundamentalism. So
it is not a very strong ontological claim.

Best

Den 07/09/2014 kl. 14.30 skrev Frederik Stjernfelt
<stj...@hum.ku.dk<mailto:stj...@hum.ku.dk>>
:

Den 05/09/2014 kl. 04.59 skrev "Deely, John N."