Howard, Frederik, lists,

Howard, is your objection is to using the decidedly adjectival "real" to describe something other than a concrete individual object, this man, this horse? Would you allow an adverb? Then you could say that Earth and Mars are really two planets, and their twoness has really-ness in respect of planetness. But ordinary language makes little accommodation for that kind of talk. We would still end up saying 'reality' to cover the ideas of 'realness,' 'really-ness', etc.

You wrote,

    > [HP] The evidence I know is that only human brains (and their
   artifacts) actually do mathematics. I have no evidence that
   inanimate nature does even simple mathematics.

Only humans (at least here on Earth) do sociology, psychology, biology, chemistry, or physics. I have no evidence that elementary nature does even simple physics, or even wears a lab coat.

Being alive, instantiating life, is far from enough to do biology. Instantiating mathematical structure is far from enough to do mathematics.

    > [HP] No one has discovered a point or a triangle or a number, the
   infinite or the infinitesimal, in Nature

In your sense, nobody has discovered a physical law in nature either. Rules, constraints, norms, distributions, etc., are not animals, vegetables, minerals, or particles. Therefore by your standards they are not real. By saying that X is "real," Peirce means that X is objectively investigable as X. You won't use the word "real" in that way.

But do you think that numbers can be objectively investigated as numbers?

Best, Ben

On 9/18/2014 8:30 AM, Howard Pattee wrote:

At 12:07 PM 9/17/2014, Frederik  wrote:
I think it follows from these observations [that MRI scans require mathematics] that it is a preposterous claim to say that mathematics is the study of neurological structures - or that mathematics could, in any way, be reduced to neuropsychology.

HP: I agree that there are too many MRI papers, and that MRI images by themselves explain nothing. But also logic by itself explains nothing. I'll repeat my point that, like other primitive concepts, /understanding mathematics requires complementary models./ What is preposterous is to claim that any one view of the Foundations of Mathematics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_mathematics> is the only non-preposterous view. Preposterous views in physics are common, but accepted only if supported by experimental evidence. The evidence I know is that only human brains (and their artifacts) actually do mathematics. I have no evidence that inanimate nature does even simple mathematics.

Human math began with geometry and numbers. No one has discovered a point or a triangle or a number, the infinite or the infinitesimal, in Nature. >From Zeno and Aristotle (“That which moves does not move by counting”) to Cantor and Dedekind, discreteness and continuity have been impossible to combine in one logical model. Peirce spent many years trying to describe precisely how points could form a continuous line. Like Aristotle, he concluded that they couldn’t.

We now believe(from MRI images) that concepts of discrete objects, like points, and concepts of continuous motions and structures, like lines, are formed in different regions of the brain, or at least by different neural codes. It all began 400 million years ago when the earliest sensorimotor controls based on vision required brains to distinguish discrete objects from their continuous motions.

Howard