At 10:39 AM 9/18/2014, Benjamin wrote:

Only humans (at least here on Earth) do sociology, psychology, biology, chemistry, or physics. I have no evidence that elementary nature does even simple physics, or even wears a lab coat.

HP: I agree. These are all fields in which humans make models of their experiences. They may agree on their models but still disagree on different epistemologies, realism, nominalism, eliminative materialism, and so on. These epistemologies are interpretations of their models with respect to what they believe exists or what they believe is real.

Epistemologies are not empirically decidable, e.g., not falsifiable. True belief in any epistemology requires a leap of faith. There are degrees of faith, skepticism being at the low end. In my own view as a physicist, nominalism requires a much safer leap of faith than realism. However, I often think realistically. I see no harm in it as long as I don't see it as the one true belief.

BU: Being alive, instantiating life, is far from enough to do biology. Instantiating mathematical structure is far from enough to do mathematics.

HP: Again, I agree. That does not mean that "doing math" is the same as "doing physics". Mathematics is the best language that we use to describe physical laws. There is an inexorability in physical laws that does not exist in the great variety of mathematical concepts and rules.

> [HP] No one has discovered a point or a triangle or a number, the infinite or the infinitesimal, in Nature

BU: In your sense, nobody has discovered a physical law in nature either. Rules, constraints, norms, distributions, etc., are not animals, vegetables, minerals, or particles. Therefore by your standards they are not real.

HP: Here I disagree. You are not distinguishing mathematical rules from physical laws. Mathematics provides the most exact symbolic language in which the laws are described. Symbolic rules are not like physical material forces. Specifically, laws are inexorably time and rate-dependent. Logic and mathematics do not involve time and rates. That is why I say that "only humans do mathematics" (manipulate symbols), which they do at their own rates. Humans cannot "do forces and laws". Forces act at the lawful rates whether we like it or not.

By saying that X is "real," Peirce means that X is objectively investigable as X. You won't use the word "real" in that way.

HP: I do not understand. What I call real depends only on my epistemic assumptions, and I am not at all sure that defining "real" is important to have a good model. What we need to understand is what Wigner called the "unreasonable effectiveness" of our mathematics in describing laws. There is no good reason for this effectiveness. Wigner quotes Peirce: " . . . and it is probable that there is some secret here which remains to be discovered."

Peirce, as a chemist (1887) also agreed with Hertz's epistemology (1884):
"The result that the chemist observes is brought about by nature [Hertz: "the image of the consequents of nature"]; the result that the mathematician observes is brought about by the associations of the mind. [Hertz: "consequents of images in the mind"] . . . the power that connects the conditions of the mathematicians diagram with the relations he observes in it is just as occult and mysterious to us as the power of Nature that brings about the results of the chemical experiment." [W:6, 37, Letter to Noble on the Nature of Reasoning, May 28, 1987. (1897)]

Hertz: "As a matter of fact, we do not know, nor have we any means of knowing, whether our conception of things are in conformity with them in any other than this one fundamental respect [Peirce's "power that connects"].

Howard