Dear Ben, lists,
I think you are right in proposing that quasi-inferences are inferences with
less than full self-control.
But self-control comes in many degrees ( I address this a bit in ch. 6 I
think). A very low degree of self-control may be the slow change over
evolutionary adaption -  with the lineage as the self-controlling entity able
to learn, rather than the single organism.
You're right about the vague sense of Peirce's different "quasis" - maybe an
intended vagueness. But I think it is right that, as a tendency, P would regard
learning (ever so slowly) as essential for his mind concept (of course the
famous crystals-and-bees quote may be marshaled as a counter-quote).
Best

Den 16/09/2014 kl. 20.09 skrev Benjamin Udell
<bud...@nyc.rr.com<mailto:bud...@nyc.rr.com>>
:

Clark, list,

In regard to the Peirce quote from 1907 that you provided, it's also pertinent
to the discussion of biosemiosis, physiosemiosis, etc., taking place lately
here. It was in the 1906 "Prolegomena to an Apology for Pragmaticism" that he
discusses quasi-mind, quasi-utterer,
quasi-interpreterhttp://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/quasi-mind . In the
1907 passage that you quote, mentioning the Jacquard loom, he doesn't mention
the "quasi-"s although they seem pertinent. But in another 1907 from the same
MS 318, published in CP 5.473 (the famous "semeiosy" passage), he says that a
Jacquard loom should be regarded as a "quasi-sign", because the action is that
of automatic regulation, which he distinguishes from semeiosy (semiosis).

[Quote]
In these cases, however, a mental representation of the index is produced,
which mental representation is called the _immediate object_ of the sign; and
this object does triadically produce the intended, or proper, effect of the
sign strictly by means of another mental sign; and that this triadic character
of the action is regarded as essential is shown by the fact that if the
thermometer is dynamically connected with the heating and cooling apparatus, so
as to check either effect, we do not, in ordinary parlance speak of there being
any _semeiosy_, or action of a sign, but, on the contrary, say that there is an
"automatic regulation," an idea opposed, in our minds, to that of _semeiosy_.
For the proper significate outcome of a sign, I propose the name, the
interpretant of the sign. The example of the imperative command shows that it
need not be of a mental mode of being. Whether the interpretant be necessarily
a triadic result is a question of words, that is, of how we limit the extension
of the term "sign"; but it seems to me convenient to make the triadic
production of the interpretant essential to a "sign," calling the wider concept
like a Jacquard loom, for example, a "quasi-sign."
[End quote]

I tend to see this distinction as allied a distinction that he makes in an
unpublished MS which the Robin Catalogue describes as follows:

831. [Reasoning and Instinct]
A. MS., n.p., n.d., pp. 2-29, incomplete.
The fine gradations between subconscious or instinctive mind and conscious,
controlled reason. Logical machines are not strictly reasoning machines because
they lack the ability of self-criticism and the ability to correct defects
which may crop up. Three kinds of reasoning: inductive, deductive,
hypothetical. Quasi-inferences.

Well, I don't know what to make of "quasi-inferences" - I'd have thought that
he would regard instinctive or automatic inferences as quasi-reasonings. I'll
be very interested to read MS 831 if it ever becomes available.

Anyway I've tended to think of genuine semiosis as involving the capacity to
learn, capacity for self-correction etc. (and I've heard that this is De
Tienne's view) - I mean not merely self-correction to maintain homeostasis or
balance while walking etc. (which could be done by automatic regulation), but
'design-level' self-correction, correction of one's own methods, correction of
one's own semiosic habits, etc.

But one finds inferences embodied in vegetable-level and physical phenomena,
are they not semioses? Are they quasi-semioses? The prefix "quasi-" starts to
seem too vague to capture the possible senses. I also don't have too firm an
idea of all the things that Peirce means by "mind". Does mind, in Peirce's
sense, always involve the capacity to learn? If I call something a quasi-mind,
should that mean like a mind but not learning? Or could it mean learning like a
mind without being a mind capable of consciousness (I've thought of biological
evolution as having a 'quasi-mind'). Vegetable-level (quasi-)semiosis seems
like we ought to strongly distinguish it from whatever strictly dynamic or
material/chemical (quasi-) semiosis we think there is, because at the vegetable
level, signs or signals are 'interpreted' in terms of highly specific kinds of
pertinence to the organism for the end of the thriving of the species. It
indeed _seems_ rather like semiosis as we ordinarily think of it because,
although vegetable-level organisms don't learn (at least last that I heard of),
they behave by seemingly specific-purposeful interpretants, thanks to the
trial-and-error (quasi-)learning by evolution that made them that way.  People
set up the Jacquard loom, put its cards in place, etc., evolution sets up
(vastly more complex) vegetable organisms. The hypothetical Gaia seems like
another case. One might say that it is 'quasi-alive'. I guess it also has a
'quasi-mind'. Evolving over time, it has 'quasi-mind' in the (quasi-)learning
sense. We need more prefixes, this is turning into mush.

Best, Ben