Clark, list,

You wrote,

    >[CG] The line of thinking I was following was that generals, as
   used by Peirce, simply has much narrower application possible than
   universals like colors. It’s true that the universal yellow can be
   instantiated by a limited number of objects but is treated as an
   universal. However it seems like “some flowers are yellow” are
   different from “some men wear hats.” The distinction I was getting
   at, relative to Newton’s laws, was that distinction. The predicate
   “is wearing a hat” simply seems a different sort of thing from “is
   yellow.” Traditional universals within science accept the latter but
   tend not to apply it to the former.
   [End quote]

Peirce makes the distinction between mechanical qualities and qualities of feeling, see CP 1.422-426, circa 1896. Particularly interesting is that here he calls qualities generals - but qualities only as reflected on. http://www.textlog.de/4282.html .

I'd think that laws of physics are more general than a sensible quality like 'yellow', which is less widely applicable than the laws of physics in our known physical universe, even if one does think that sensible qualities are real.

Except when discussing 'universal' as understood in physics, it might be better to stick to 'more general' and 'less general', rather than trying for a distinction between 'universal' and 'general' that (A) merely involves different degrees of generality and (B) gets tangled up in terminological history. I've avoided (A) but tripped over (B). At one time, I defined 'universal' and 'general' in the monadic case as follows: given a term H true of something, H is _/universal/_ if there is not also something of which H is false, otherwise H is _/special/_. Given a term H true of something, H is _/general/_ if there is something else of which H is true, otherwise H is _/singular/_. But that is more in keeping with everyday English than with logical and philosophical terminology, so if I need to discuss my notion of 'universal' you'll see me using an invented word for it.

    > [CG] [...] I think realism in physics is also partially about
   that hope. I think when one is a realist about a particular claim
   that one also has a hope that a particular entity is just such a
   mind independent entity. So one can be a realist broadly about
   something we don’t know (say whether there are fundamental
   structures) but I take realism in practice to be claims about
   particular entities.

    > If one is a realist only about things one doesn’t know, then do
   you think that makes one an instrumentalist about the other entities
   if one views such entities as simplified models and not the ultimate
   constituents?
   [End quote]

Realism about particular laws etc. is just realism adjoined to the claim to have found certain entities. 'Realism about GR' or 'Realism about natural selection', etc. But philosophical realism is not the sum or generality of such realisms. Instead _/realism about particular laws etc./_ is the sum or generality of such realisms.

If one is a realist _/only/_ about things that one doesn't know, then one implies that the real is not cognizable. I suppose that one could say in a loose sense that one is partly an instrumentalist about simplified models, but one may regard such models as still being close to the truth, and thus as reflecting something nearly real, and in that sense one is not an instrumentalist. In "On the Logic of Drawing Ancient History from Documents", EP 2, somewhere in pages 107–9 Peirce speaks of _/incomplexity/_, that of a hypothesis that seems too simple but whose trial "may give a good 'leave,' as the billiard-players say", and be instructive for the pursuit of various and conflicting hypotheses that are less simple. One could loosely call that instrumentalism, but to regard the incomplex hypothesis as offering some degree of promise of leading to a true theory about something real, is not instrumentalism.

Regarding A-time and B-time, I thought that those were questions in philosophy of physics, not in physics. Do you think that they have something to do with the unification of space and time in the sense in which that unification is understood in physics - such as to modify the idea of the signal speed limit as a common yardstick of space and time?

Best, Ben

On 9/29/2014 2:36 PM, Clark Goble wrote:

On Sep 29, 2014, at 10:38 AM, Benjamin Udell wrote:

By the way, I think that we should remind or inform readers that many physicists, when they speak of 'realism', mean ideas such as that a particle has an objective, determinate state, even when unmeasured. Peirce's realism does not imply that, so far as I can see, and his realism about absolute chance doesn't clash with the denial of of such unmeasured objective determinate states either.

Yes. Great point. I really should have clarified the issues of realism in physics from more broad realism vs. idealism debates such as those Dewey was involved in.

>> [BU] A realist can and often enough ought to be skeptical about particular models and diagrams as representative of reality. A realist believes not that all generals are real but instead that some generals are real and some generals are figmentitious.

>[CG] Yes, I think this is key. I think Peirceans have more tools at our disposal because generals are broader than mere universals. (Broader in the sense of encompassing more structures)

[BU] I didn't know that Peirce or Peirceans made such a distinction. Do you remember where you've found that? One finds Aristotle translated as using the noun 'universal' to mean a character that belongs, or at least could belong, to more than one thing, and even recent philosophers (E.J. Lowe, for example) call 'universals and particulars' the things that Peirce called 'generals and singulars'. (The ambiguity of 'particular' as referring the indefinite _/something/_ and the determinate _/Socrates/_ is another issue.) Peirce's usage is more congenial to everyday English, wherein the noun 'universal' instead parallels the adjective, and, unqualified, evokes unlimited generality, and the word 'general', unqualified, evokes a generality that is not necessarily universal and uninterrupted. In logic, examples of universal propositions are 'all G is H' and 'all is H'. That's where I've noticed Peirce speaking of the universal, while a general term is, roughly speaking, a non-singular term (leave plurals and polyads out of it for the moment), and thus correlates to the Aristotelian idea of a universal. Anyway, given the way that English works, I'd advise against a terminology in which the general is said to be broader than the universal. Or maybe that was a typo and you meant to say that the universal is broader than the general. I think so, given I what I re-read now in your remarks below.

Hmm. That was really a bad way of expressing that on my part. I now regret I wrote that. Clearly I’m wrong in what I wrote.

The line of thinking I was following was that generals, as used by Peirce, simply has much narrower application possible than universals like colors. It’s true that the universal yellow can be instantiated by a limited number of objects but is treated as an universal. However it seems like “some flowers are yellow” are different from “some men wear hats.” The distinction I was getting at, relative to Newton’s laws, was that distinction. The predicate “is wearing a hat” simply seems a different sort of thing from “is yellow.” Traditional universals within science accept the latter but tend not to apply it to the former.

Probably what I should have written was more about what universals/generals one was a realist about. Especially as it relates to the reductionist issue.

As you note Peirce typically uses general as non-singular. The reason I had said it was broader was more about Peirce allowing realism towards many generals that a physicist wouldn’t. So many people are open to mathematical entities being universals for instance. (Think Quine for example) However they tend not to be a realist towards statements like “is wearing a hat.” That’s fundamentally an emergent phenomena and wrapped up with individual minds, the way most nominalists think of it.

But I might just simply be wrong in all this. I think I was thinking in terms of passages like the following:

    A particular proposition asserts the existence of something of a
    given description. A universal proposition merely asserts the
    non-existence of anything of a given description.

    Had I, therefore, asserted that a perceptual judgment could be a
    universal proposition I should have fallen into rank absurdity.
    For reaction is existence and the perceptual judgment is the
    cognitive product of a reaction.

    But as from the particular proposition that “There is some woman
    whom any Catholic you can find will adore,” we can with certainty
    infer the universal proposition that “Any Catholic you can find
    will adore some woman or other,” so if a perceptual judgment
    involves any general elements, as it certainly does, the
    presumption is that a universal proposition can be necessarily
    deduced from it. (EP 2:210)

Now this is getting at vagueness vs. generals. And now that I try and rethink through my reasoning, I suspect that it is this vagueness vs. generalness issue that’s at play.

Peirce I should note makes the point you do explicitly which makes this a more embarrassing error on my part.

    it may be pointed out that the “Quantity” of propositions in
    logic, that is, the distribution of the first subject, † is either
    singular (that is, determinate, which renders it substantially
    negligible in formal logic), or *universal (that is, general)*, or
    particular (as the medieval logicians say, that is, vague or
    indefinite). It is a curious fact that in the logic of relations
    it is the first and last quantifiers of a proposition that are of
    chief importance. To affirm of anything that it is a horse is to
    yield to it every essential character of a horse: to deny of
    anything that it is a horse is vaguely to refuse to it some one or
    more of those essential characters of the horse. (EP 2:352)

    Aristotle’s definition of universal predication, which is usually
    designated (like a papal bull or writ of court, from its opening
    words) as the Dictum de omni, may be translated as follows: “We
    call a predication (be it affirmative or negative ) universal,
    when, and only when, there is nothing among the existent
    individuals to which the subject affirmatively belongs, but to
    which the predicate will not likewise be referred (affirmatively
    or negatively, according as the universal predication is
    affirmative or negative).” […] The proper mate of this sort to the
    Dictum de omni is the following definition of affirmative
    predication: We call a predication affirmative (be it universal or
    particular) when, and only when, there is nothing among the
    sensational effects that belong universally to the predicate which
    will not be (universally or particularly, according as the
    affirmative predication is universal or particular) said to belong
    to the subject. Now, this is substantially the essential
    proposition of pragmaticism. Of course, its parallelism to the
    Dictum de omni will only be admitted by a person who admits the
    truth of pragmaticism.
(EP 2:344) The question then becomes how this applies to Newtons laws. While I think I made an error, I think I’m headed towards a correct distinction. I just need to think through it more. I think the point I was at is that in physics universals apply to everything. Generals need not apply to all subjects.

You seem to be suggesting that to say that there are real, mind-independent laws, generals, etc., relating things, is to say also that one knows just what the laws, generals, etc., are. But Peirce's realism says that there are real, mind-independent laws, generals, etc., relating things, about which one can learn and some of which easily may yet remain unknown or incompletely known to the given inquirer or group of inquirers. At any rate, the inquirer _/hopes/_ to find such laws etc. and the inquiry logically presupposes that they're there to be found somehow.

Yes, and I think realism in physics is also partially about that hope. I think when one is a realist about a particular claim that one also has a hope that a particular entity is just such a mind independent entity. So one can be a realist broadly about something we don’t know (say whether there are fundamental structures) but I take realism in practice to be claims about particular entities.

If one is a realist only about things one doesn’t know, then do you think that makes one an instrumentalist about the other entities if one views such entities as simplified models and not the ultimate constituents?

I think the ultimately problem is that most physicists (like most scientists) are nominalists and thus to make a realist claim requires knowing what the singulars are. Yet most physicists don’t think they know the singulars. This leads to problems for a nominalist that a scholastic realist like Peirce doesn’t face.

Now I think physicists would do well to jettison nominalism. But I’m realistic that few are open to scholastic realism.

> [CG] I won’t even try to guess what Peirce would think. I don’t feel I know his thought enough for that. I suspect you’re right in regards to energy being cenoscopic or idioscopic. It seems an experimental reduction rather something worked out philosophically. Whether they are the same thing or not seems a bit trickier. I know that’s one popular interpretation. I’m not sure that being able to transform things entails they are the same thing though. That’s a tricky conversation though. It might be they are all manifestations of something more fundamental though.

[BU] That seems almost to say that maybe space and time aren't really unified, when I thought that that was an even surer thing than the equivalence of mechanical inertia and gravitational mass. Well, I've heard that there are perspectives in which spacetime is emergent, so I guess I don't know.

Well exactly what we mean by space and time being unified isn’t clear. There are still plenty of papers arguing via a careful consideration of the physics for either A-time or B-time which entails quite different conceptions of the “unification.” I tend to favor an ontology that privileges General Relative and a substantial space/time. But that’s hardly the only view.

Spacetime as emergence is actually a fairly common view. One could well argue that in certain ways it was Einstein’s in that he was really trying to do a Leibnizean monadology where space/time emerges. See for example the SEP on the hole argument.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-holearg

Einstein’s view is a little different than the classic Leibnizean relativism sought after by figures like Mach. That’s because warped spacetime appears to be as much a part of an object as are its volume and mass. That is you don’t have windowless monads where all events of the object through time are contained within it.