> On Oct 1, 2014, at 8:50 AM, Benjamin Udell <bud...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe I've underestimated the amount of instrumentalism - it's hard for me to
> discern how seriously people take their own ideas of 'useful fictions' in
> practice.

And I should add my own important caveat. I’m simply not been in science for a
long time now. Things can change rapidly. I’m more going by past conversations
especially from when I worked at Los Alamos. There’s lots of ways my own
experiences may not be representative of what’s going on.

> Curiously, there seems more realism, more of an idea of finding the objective
> truth about generals that relate waves/particles than about the singulars or
> particulars, the waves/particles themselves (which are not particularly
> individualistic anyway), especially when the objective truth about a given
> wave/particle is supposed to be classical and observer-independent, not
> quantum. Feynman's attitude seems to have been, give up trying to understand
> it classically. One can imagine Peirce surveying the scene with an amused
> glint in his eye. Not only was he a modal realist, he associated
> individuality with falsity.

I think this is right - although with waves the question becomes whether waves
(or more accurately a quantum field) is the individual and not “particles”
which are emergent. That is a place where I think all this gets tricky relative
to nominalism. Often the divide between particulars and generals reverses in
odd ways in fundamental physics. That can make discussion of nominalism tricky.