Clark, list,

Thanks for the link, I failed to supply any. Even in cases where Wikipedia is to be trusted, it's often too technical and jargony, as if written by students for their professors rather than by professors for the general public.

You wrote, "...Noether’s Theorem would imply non-conservation in classical (nonrelativistic) physics..." - I think you meant that Noether’s Theorem would imply conservation in classical (nonrelativistic) physics.

For my part I should have added that, according to general relativity, the total energy increases in an expanding universe and decreases in a contracting universe. I get scared of saying physical-theoretical things like that because I worry that there's some key caveat or the like that I don't know about.

> [CG] No idea how this relates to Peirce though. I assume he just assumed classical physics.

The issue may be relevant to Peirce because he did assume classical pre-Einsteinian physics in discussing physics. Part of his discussion of life, absolute chance, and triadicity in nature depends on the idea that energy is conserved.

Best, Ben