Gary F, lists,

Gary wrote that in rereading the Speculative Grammar part of the Syllabus
that this struck him:

GF: that the interpretant of a dicisign or proposition represents the sign
itself as well as its object, and represents it as an *index* -- which,
strictly speaking, lacks the *generality* which makes the argument a symbol
and thus more genuine.

I think that your rewording *is* helpful (but then see the CP 2.293-4
quoted below which tends to complicate the matter for me); and, further,
that your notion that the reason that Peirce did so much self-rewording was
"to get through to the real, general, genuine Thought that was . . . a
piece of the Truth" and not a more (mere) personal expression of it, makes
good sense. I'm not sure that his re-wordings *always* made his thinking
more transparent, but often enough they did.

You also asked why I thought that Peirce's comment that "A proof or genuine
argument is a mental process which is open to logical criticism"

GR: . . . is in any way incompatible with the notion that the dicisign
might be described as 'degenerate' relative to the argument.

First, would you say that a 'proof' is but a species of genuine argument?
While it makes a kind of sense to me to say that the dicisign is degenerate
relative to the argument, I wonder if this isn't straining Peirce's
terminology a bit. Perhaps I was thinking that Peirce speaks in places of
degenerate symbols *per se*. For example:

. . . while the complete object of a symbol, that is to say, its meaning,
is of the nature of a law, it must denote an individual, and must signify a
character. A genuine symbol is a symbol that has a general meaning. There
are two kinds of degenerate symbols, the Singular Symbol whose Object is an
existent individual, and which signifies only such characters as that
individual may realize; and the Abstract Symbol, whose only Object is a
character. CP 2.293

I think the meaning here is fairly clear, that there is one kind of genuine
symbol (one having a "general meaning"--but that would seem to apply to
symbols other than the 'proof' would it not?) and two kinds of degenerate
symbols, the Singular (its object being an individual) and the Abstract
(its object being a character). But in speaking of" the immediate
interpretant of an index," Peirce goes on to say:

Although the immediate Interpretant of an Index must be an Index, yet since
its Object may be the Object of an Individual [Singular] Symbol, the Index
may have such a Symbol for its indirect Interpretant. Even a genuine Symbol
may be an imperfect Interpretant of it. So an icon may have a degenerate
Index, or an Abstract Symbol, for an indirect Interpretant, and a genuine
Index or Symbol for an imperfect Interpretant. CP 2.294

I'm having considerable difficulty parsing this second paragraph,
especially as to how he's using the terms 'imperfect' and 'indirect' (as
opposed to 'intended'?) But it seems to me that it might be
important--especially in getting at the concept of "genuine"--to try to
grasp Peirce's meaning here.

Best,

Gary R

*Gary Richmond*