Douglas, lists,

You wrote: "I learned at the Centennial Conference that Professor
Stjernfelt associates the two forms of deduction with secondness, and the
three forms of induction with thirdness.

In the 1903 Harvard lectures draft I pointed to, Peirce seems instead to
have settled (albeit tentatively) on deduction as associated with 3ns
(necessary reasoning) and induction with 2ns.

I would encourage anyone interested in this categorial issue (how the
categories are associated with the three inference patterns) to read that
draft. It shows how Peirce assiduously applies the principle of fallibility
to his own research, and just how self-critical he can be.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*