Jeff, Jon, lists,

I think that all that is required for an ordered triple, or an ordering of any length, is a rough notion of 'more' or 'less', for example an ordering of personal preferences, and this is enough for theorems, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow%27s_impossibility_theorem. Exact quantities are not required. In the case of object, sign, interpretant, insofar as the object determines the sign to determine the interpretant to be determined by the object as the sign is determined by the object, the order of semiotic determination is 'object, sign, interpretant', although object, sign, interpretant are not to be understood as acting like successive falling dominoes.

Best, Ben