Gary R., lists,

Thanks, Gary.

The discussion of semiotic determination at the Wikipedia Peirce article were originally written by others including Jon Awbrey and then edited by me. I've shown the URLs in the links in the footnotes so that they'll be accessible in the I.U. archive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sanders_Peirce#Sign_relation

   /Determination./ A sign depends on its object in such a way as to
   represent its object — the object enables and, in a sense,
   determines the sign. A physically causal sense of this stands out
   when a sign consists in an indicative reaction. The interpretant
   depends likewise on both the sign and the object — an object
   determines a sign to determine an interpretant. But this
   determination is not a succession of dyadic events, like a row of
   toppling dominoes; sign determination is triadic. For example, an
   interpretant does not merely represent something which represented
   an object; instead an interpretant represents something /as/ a sign
   representing the object. The object (be it a quality or fact or law
   or even fictional) determines the sign to an interpretant through
   one's collateral experience^[125] with the object, in which the
   object is found or from which it is recalled, as when a sign
   consists in a chance semblance of an absent object. Peirce used the
   word "determine" not in a strictly deterministic sense, but in a
   sense of "specializes," /bestimmt/,^[126] involving variable amount,
   like an influence.^[127] Peirce came to define representation and
   interpretation in terms of (triadic) determination.^[128] The object
   determines the sign to determine another sign — the interpretant —
   to be related to the object /as the sign is related to the object/ ,
   hence the interpretant, fulfilling its function as sign of the
   object, determines a further interpretant sign. The process is
   logically structured to perpetuate itself, and is definitive of
   sign, object, and interpretant in general.^[127]

   125 ^ /a b/ See pp. 404–9 in "Pragmatism" in EP 2. Ten quotes on
   collateral experience from Peirce provided by Joseph Ransdell can be
   viewed here <http://lyris.ttu.edu/read/messages?id=57101>
   http://lyris.ttu.edu/read/messages?id=57101 at peirce-l's Lyris
   archive. Note: Ransdell's quotes from CP 8.178–9 are also in EP
   2:493–4, which gives their date as 1909; and his quote from CP 8.183
   is also in EP 2:495–6, which gives its date as 1909.

   126 ^ Peirce, letter to William James, dated 1909, see EP 2:492.

   127 ^ /a b c/ See "76 definitions of the sign by C.S.Peirce
   <http://perso.numericable.fr/robert.marty/semiotique/76defeng.htm> "
   http://perso.numericable.fr/robert.marty/semiotique/76defeng.htm ,
   collected by Robert Marty (U. of Perpignan, France).

   128 ^ Peirce, A Letter to Lady Welby (1908), /Semiotic and Significs
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sanders_Peirce#SS> /
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sanders_Peirce#SS , pp. 80–1:

       I define a Sign as anything which is so determined by something
       else, called its Object, and so determines an effect upon a
       person, which effect I call its Interpretant, that the latter is
       thereby mediately determined by the former. My insertion of
       "upon a person" is a sop to Cerberus, because I despair of
       making my own broader conception understood.

End quote.

Somewhat longer version here. Additional lines at end were originally in the Peirce article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotic_elements_and_classes_of_signs#Sign_relation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotic_elements_and_classes_of_signs#Sign_relation>

Also some discussion in the third paragraph of the linked section in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_%28arts%29#Semiotics_and_logic

Also in the third paragraph of the linked section in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_%28semiotics%29#Triadic_signs
this paragraph's final line was by somebody else.

Best, Ben