Ben,

Thanks for providing this and the other materials in your previous message
on Peirce's use of determination in semiotic contexts. While I'm familiar
with much of it, it's all worth a fresh re-reading, and having it in an
(almost) single place is most helpful.

By the way, Nattiez is a French semiologist of music (I wouldn't call him a
semiotician), and the one book of his I tried--a couple of decades ago--to
work my way through (unsuccessfully) was given the title *Music and
Discourse* in its English translation. I'm going to see if I can hunt it up
in my library.

Best,

Gary

[image: Gary Richmond]