Comments intertwined. Thanks for the effort, but it doesn’t really help with
what is worrying me.

From: Benjamin Udell [mailto:bud...@nyc.rr.com]
Sent: January 31, 2015 7:08 PM
To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee; peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: [biosemiotics:8047] Re: Triadic Relations

John C., Gary F.,

John, you wrote,

[JC] As far as the process goes, since we have no way to grasp an object except
through signs, it seems very strange to me to say that the object determines
the sign or its parts through a process of any sort. This is especially true
when the object is a general, which is an abstraction (however real). That
would be rather like saying that the number twelve determines the number of
eggs I bought today.
[End quote]

The number twelve doesn't determine or compel you to buy twelve rather than
eleven eggs. But the number twelve does determine (in Peirce's sense of
'determine') the twelve eggs as a representative instance of twelve in general
- rather than of eleven or thirteen in general - to an interpreting mind. If a
cloud reminds you of a certain person's face, that person's face does not
determine or compel the cloud to physically shape itself into the appearance of
that person's face. Instead that person's face determines the cloud, in the
happenstance shape that it already has, into being an iconic representamen of
the person's face for you. The person's face achieves this through your
individual collateral experience of the person's face. That's where the "line,"
as it were, of triadic causation or determination or influence runs. That cloud
is an icon to you but not the kind that comes already physically attached to an
index designating or pointing to the person's face; your collateral experience
supplies the index in your individual mind.

Quite, Ben. But it doesn’t get at what worries me. Your cloud example suggests
that there could be any number of generals. As I said to Gary in my recent
reply to him, if there are any numbers of generals then we might as well be
nominalists. My approach to cardinal numbers, which is not that odd
historically, says that it is all the twelve numbered sets that determine the
number twelve, not the other way around. The way you put it is too Platonic for
my taste.

You wrote,

[JC] As far as Peirce€™s definition of a sign in terms of determination goes,
it certainly doesn€™t preclude determination also going in other ways. So we
could accept the definition, and interpret determination as €˜being relevant
to€™ or something like that, and still have determination in all directions.
[....]
[End quote]

I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean, for example, that each of two
physical objects reacting with each other may be an index of the other? That's
true, though it may be hard to separate out what is representative of one
object and what is representative of the other. It seems easier to think of
both objects as indices of their composite system; anyway the total object of a
representamen is the object's universe of discourse. Suppose a situation with a
mind confined to observations of only one of the objects, and another mind, a
mind confined to observations of only the other object. Each mind will need, at
some level, to take its observed index as index not exclusively of the
unobserved part, but as an index of the physical system, the object of which
the two separately observed objects are parts in a complexus, of which the
given observed part, the given index, is a part. Likewise a sample is an index
of the totality from which it is drawn. The lines of object-index determination
can run in various ways and one just needs to keep track of them.

No, I was just saying that determination in one direction does not preclude
determination in another, in the sense of ‘being relevant to’, or
‘constraining’.

You wrote,

[JC] [....] It seems to me that this is necessary unless there are multiple
mappings (degeneracies) of interpretation and object to representamen (not sign
in my current usage), since there is only one thing whenever we are talking
about a particular sign, which determines its particular parts. Being a part of
the sign is then determined. By part, of course, I mean the relata of the sign.
I was assuming that we could have the same interpretant and representamen and
object across different signs. If not then determination of one part by another
is trivial by identity and the part-whole relationship. Which is what I have
been worried about all along.

I guess you're taking 'sign' to mean the triad of representamen, object,
interpretant, or as Edwina prefers to think of it, the triad of their relations.

As an irreducible triadic relation among object, representamen and interpretant.

 Looking at it that way, I can't see how to see the same triad members across
different signs without just as well being able to say that one has different
cases of the same triad members across different cases of the same sign.

Neither can I, actually. But this makes determination in all directions in
virtue of being parts of the same thing. In Particular it seems to me intuitive
that the interpretant determines the object, though I am willing to allow that
they are mutually determining. I see the interpretant as acting like a sort of
filter that constrains what the object could be. The object can be taken easily
to have the same effect on the interpretant, as you and Gary have argued.

You wrote,

[JC] There are some cases in which the object determines the representamen in
the same way as it determines the interpretant. A weather vane points a
particular way. That is caused by the direction of the wind, so it is so
determined. The pointing of the weather vane is interpreted as the direction of
the wind, the object of the sign in this case. No problem. Where I have trouble
is when we are dealing with not instances of objects, but generals, as I have
mentioned several times now. The nature of the €œdetermination€ in this case
seems very obscure to me, and I would not call it determination, since that
leads far too easily to what Putnam called €œthe magical theory of reference€
popular among metaphysical realists. I have been concerned about this issue
since I wrote my thesis on incommensurability, through my work against
Putnam€™s rejection of metaphysical realism, up to today, right now. I don€™t
think things are nearly as clear as you and Ben seem to think they are.
[End quote]

As far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong about this, what makes
reference magical in Hilary Putnam's scenario of the brain in a vat is simply
that the person claiming to be a (mostly) deluded brain in a vat has, _even in
principle_, no way to discover through sufficient investigation the vat (or
some analogue) that the person is supposedly in and to which therefore the
person can refer only magically. This impossibility of discovery is by Putnam's
own magical fiat. Anyway, in the scenario, one has no way to discover which
vat, or what kind of vat-like thing, what actual analogue to the delusive mere
'vat-images' to which the brain-in-a-vat is confined to cognizing, what kind of
computer program or computer hologram, what is this absolutely hidden
container's identity, character, measure, location or path, etc. So the person
can't meaningfully make the claim, can at best offer the proposition as an
idle, amusing reverie including an appeal to incognizability-in-principle.

No, you are wrong. He invokes the magical theory of reference as one held by
metaphysical realists whether brains in vats or not. The idea is that we can
sort of triangulate the reference of our terms by constraining what the
external world is like. Putnam argues we can’t do that. That is the intended
function of his brain in the vat argument and his models and reality argument.
A similar argument to the latter was made to Russell’s structuralism in the
early 30s by MAH Newman. It works against views that attribute more to reality
than structure, but not Russell’s view. Russell never replied.

 Now, one's experience includes actually imagining various instantial
embodiments of the number twelve, where one found that the number insistently
follows certain rules, and so on, and found that in those cases one could see
that those rules would always hold as long as one holds to certain general
rules - the terms and conditions of a contract - a mathematically nontrivial
one - made by the imagination. The number twelve has no single concrete
embodiment, no single sensory character, etc.. Still, one refers through such
experiences to the number twelve. Anybody of sufficient intelligence can have
such experiences and people generally converge quickly to agreement about
12+12=24, and so on. The natural numbers can serve as a systematic index (or
indexical legisign) of any denumerable well-ordered set. Any living, actual
mind will need to refer such indexical legisigns to individual actual (or
actually imagined) examples in that mind's experience. One cannot imagine the
whole denumerable set distinctly, but one can refer oneself to experiences of
proofs that the rules would apply throughout, and even to experiences that
seeming failures with, say, very large numbers, turned out to result from
calculational error or the like.
Yeh, as I said I don’t have the same view of numbers. I put cardinality first
rather than the more common ordinality (a set of ordered indexes).