Ben that is a fascinating snippet! Thank you.

I think what the snippet shows is that it's worth bearing in mind that
Peirce's paper on logical comprehension and extension was very early - 1867
- and here he is still working in a 'finitist' tradition in metaphysics and
logic, which he manages to shake himself free of in his later
synechism. Under synechism every real object has an infinite number of
attributes, and every meaningful predicate or general term effectively has
an infinite number of aspects, so a simple multiplication of B x D is
pointless.

And now for what I think is the answer to the question I posed:

*QUESTION: How does Peirce attempt to draw the distinction, in the two
cases Frederik catalogues?*

The examples Peirce gives of a natural and artificial class are*
cows*, and *red
cows* respectively.

I think what he thinks distinguishes the two is that the latter, being
arbitrarily defined, has no further properties than those already
enumerated in the definition. So all we can say about the class of red cows
is that they are cows and they are red.

Whereas the natural class can be inquired into further indefinitely. The
class of cows all share - a certain DNA, certain feeding habits, certain
reproductive strategies, etc. Now I suppose one might argue that the class
of red cows has all those properties too, because the red cows are cows.
But I guess the key point is that there is no EXTRA determination being
given by the redness. Whereas if we said, all *Jersey* cows, the
Jerseyness would have certain further characteristics which can be studied,
and thus this is a natural class.

So with the drawings, I think Peirce is trying to make it that case
that certain of the repeatable drawing features covary with certain other
of the features, and not with others, in ways such that we can capture the
minimal structure necessary for us to be able to group the features
together into 'artificial' and 'natural' classes. So the artificial ones
are those where features A and B go together in a series of cases, but no
other features are shared there. The natural ones are ones where features A
and B go together and in those cases are accompanied by further features C
and D.

All this reminds me of a passage I was writing in a paper but then took out
before publication. It is trying to give a minimal definition of
*scholastic realism*, and arguing that it is not ruled out by fiat as
certain Humean picture in philosophy  suggests. I reproduce it below in
case anyone is interested.

And here ends my postings on Chapter 9!
Cheers, Cathy

Hume’s maxim [i.e. 'there are no necessary connections between distinct
existences', 'the only contraries and existence and non-existence' - CL] ,
and associated Modal Combinatorialism, can be usefully summed up as a
*syntactic
approach to modality*. To argue this, let us frame the issue in maximally
general terms. Consider a world consisting of 4 ‘idea / objects’ (*a*, *b*,
*c* and *d*) – which may combine to make larger states of affairs. Imagine
that these idea / objects are all *distinguishable*. Then according to Hume
they must be *separable*. Let us now imagine a toy universe in which the
only contraries are existence and non-existence. In such a universe
ontologically there may exist - and epistemologically we may imagine - all
possible ‘combinations’ of the objects (just one simple two-way combination
is illustrated for purposes of simplicity, represented by the names of our
objects appearing to the left or right of each other):

*aa  ab  ac  ad  ba  bb  bc  bd  ca  cb  cc  cd  da  db  dc  dd…*

Let us now imagine a toy universe in which Modal Combinatorialism is false.
This  just means that not all combinations are realisable. Here is just one
example:

*aa  ab  ad  ba  bb  bd  ca  cb  cc  cd  da  db  dd…*

This toy universe is missing *ac*, *bc* and *dc*, (for some reason, let us
imagine it is to do with the nature of *c*). An intelligent mind inspecting
the world above might think to summarise the combinations missing from it
in a simple statement – something like, ‘*c* can never come last in
combination, unless with another *c*’. This statement is obviously a
rudimentary law, or universal.
     Our point is now merely that the second scenario is not incoherent. It
is not analytically false to conceive extra-logical constraints on the
happy combination of any conceivable object with any other conceivable
object (bearing in mind that of course these objects will have
*natures*). Mathematics...rules
out such combinations regularly: for example, the combination of 2 × 3 with
3 × *x*, for any *x *other than 2. Hume’s Modal Combinatorialism is
therefore a way of killing off a kind of realism about universals without
being honest about it.