Dear Howard, lists -

At 04:16 AM 4/21/2015, Frederik Stjernfelt wrote:

The distinction between food and poison belongs, I would say, to the a priori
concepts of biology - not of logic.

HP: What is food for a cell is decided by the evolutionary history of the cell
as recorded by its heritable information.
There are no a priori foods as illustrated by the many
extremotrophs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremotroph>. My favorite
extremotroph is the fungus that eats compact
<http://www.nature.com/news/2001/010627/full/news010628-11.html> disks. I would
not say calling a CD food is an a priori biological concept.

Haha! But that is not the argument. The argument that the categories food and
poison are a priori, not which substances are nourishing or poisonous for the
single type of organism.

FS: As indicated, this is not the Kantian conception of a priori. For those
interested in the competing notion of a priori, see ch. 8 of my Diagrammatology
(2007). Or Barry Smith's "In Defense of Extreme (Fallibilistic) Apriorism" (
http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/In-Defense.pdf<http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/In-Defense.pdf>
 )

HP: The Smith paper was confusing. Smith concludes: "Certain pre-empirical
synthetic intrinsically plausible propositions thus require ontological
correlates which are their truth-makers. Hence, there are intelligible
structures in the world, which we could also call 'a priori structures'."
How are these structures distinguished from the concept of natural laws?

I would not say the exact laws which involve empirical matter, like the size of
constants.

Best