Franklin, lists,

I think that Frederik is largely assuming Peirce's terminology. Peirce uses the words 'schema' and 'diagram' pretty much interchangeably.

Here are some key quotes on which Frederik is basing his discussion of the theormatic-corollarial distinction. http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/corollarial-reasoning

I once did a summary (footnoted with online links) of key points (at least as they seemed to me at the time); here it is with a few adjustments of the links:

   Peirce argued that, while finally all deduction depends in one way
   or another on mental experimentation on schemata or diagrams,^*[1]*
   still in corollarial deduction "it is only necessary to imagine any
   case in which the premisses are true in order to perceive
   immediately that the conclusion holds in that case", whereas
   theorematic deduction "is deduction in which it is necessary to
   experiment in the imagination upon the image of the premiss in order
   from the result of such experiment to make corollarial deductions to
   the truth of the conclusion."^*[2]* He held that corollarial
   deduction matches Aristotle's conception of direct demonstration,
   which Aristotle regarded as the only thoroughly satisfactory
   demonstration, while theorematic deduction (A) is the kind more
   prized by mathematicians, (B) is peculiar to mathematics,^*[1]* and
   (C) involves in its course the introduction of a lemma or at least a
   definition uncontemplated in the thesis (the proposition that is to
   be proved); in remarkable cases that definition is of an abstraction
   that "ought to be supported by a proper postulate."^*[3]*

   [1] Peirce, C. S., from section dated 1902 by editors in the "Minute
   Logic" manuscript, Collected Papers v. 4, paragraph 233, quoted only
   in part

http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-minute-logic-chapter-iii-simplest-mathematics
   in "Corollarial Reasoning" in the Commens Dictionary of Peirce's
   Terms, 2003–present, Mats Bergman and Sami Paavola, editors,
   University of Helsinki. FULL QUOTE:

https://archive.org/stream/TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3/Newman-TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3#page/n366/mode/1up
   in The World of Mathematics, Vol. 3, p. 1776.
   [2] Peirce, C. S., the 1902 Carnegie Application, published in The
   New Elements of Mathematics, Carolyn Eisele, editor, quoted in
   "Corollarial Reasoning"

http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-carnegie-institution-correspondence-4
   in the Commens Dictionary of Peirce's Terms, also transcribed by
   Joseph M. Ransdell, see "From Draft A - MS L75.35-39" in Memoir 19
   http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-06.htm#m19
   <http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-06.htm#m19>
   (once there, scroll down).
   [3] Peirce, C. S., 1901 manuscript "On the Logic of Drawing History
   from Ancient Documents, Especially from Testimonies', The Essential
   Peirce v. 2, see p. 96. See quote

http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-logic-drawing-history-ancient-documents-especially-testimonies-logic-histor-5
   in "Corollarial Reasoning" in the Commens Dictionary of Peirce's Terms.

The introduction of an idea beyond the explicit conditions of a problem and not contemplated in the thesis to be proved is precisely a 'complexifying' step. One might think of it as a leveraging of imagination to deepen understanding, by which vague remark I'm trying to get at the idea that such complexity is very different from the tedious complication of hundreds or thousands of trivial computations, computations that need to be done sometimes even in pure mathematics, where it is known as 'brute force'. Tedious computation used to be done by people called 'computers' up until computing machines came into use; part of Peirce's burden at the Coast Survey was that there came a time when he had to do his own tedious, lengthy computations and, worse, he found that his computing power was no longer what it was when he was younger; errors crept in.

In CP 4.233 (again https://archive.org/stream/TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3/Newman-TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3#page/n366/mode/1up) in "The Essence of Mathematics", Peirce says,

   [....] Just now, I wish to point out that after the schema has been
   constructed according to the precept virtually contained in the
   thesis, the assertion of the theorem is not evidently true, even for
   the individual schema; nor will any amount of hard thinking of the
   philosophers' corollarial kind ever render it evident. Thinking in
   general terms is not enough. It is necessary that something should
   be DONE. In geometry, subsidiary lines are drawn. In algebra
   permissible transformations are made. Thereupon, the faculty of
   observation is called into play. Some relation between the parts of
   the schema is remarked. But would this relation subsist in every
   possible case? Mere corollarial reasoning will sometimes assure us
   of this. But, generally speaking, it may be necessary to draw
   distinct schemata to represent alternative possibilities. [....]

The above is an example of why I keep talking about complexity in the sense of nontriviality. A theorem in the old sense, that is, as opposed to a corollary, is a proposition whose proof requires, at least as a practical matter, some 'complexifying', active new-idea-adding experimentation of theorematic reasoning. Such reasoning does not just add steps and operations, but incorporates ideas in ways that enrich the understanding, make 'new gestalts', to borrow some lingo that may sound hokey today. The mathematical theorem's nontriviality is its character of being a mathematical theorem in the sense of not being a mathematical corollary; it's such a theorem's non-corollarity. The theorem's nontiviality reflects, is, in a sense, the needed theorematicity of its proof, and for that very reason it reflects also the prospect of its occasioning in turn further theorematic proofs of further theorems, whatever they might be, as opposed to mere corollaries; its all about deepened understandings, as opposed to merely additional tidbits, soever multitudinous, of information. It takes nontrivia to make nontrivia. It's true that I bring in a methodology-of-inquiry perspective in addition to the critique-of-arguments perspective taken by Peirce in analyzing theorematic and corollarial reasonings. But I think that it does matter in understanding the role of theorematic reasoning in mathematics, and in relating the ideas of theorematic and corollarial reasonings to the common parlance (at least what I've been told of it) of mathematicians, where 'nontriviality', 'depth', 'fecundity' are prized characters of proven propositions.

It's not that the theorematic deduction brings something to light while the corollarial deduction brings nothing to light. It's a matter of degree as you say; indeed what seems theorematic to a schoolchild may well seem corollarial to a mathematician. Peirce generally discusses reasoning and inquiry in the context of discovery rather than in the context of justification, as Frederik pointed out; and we never entirely depart the context of discovery even when we're focused on justification. Anyway, corollarial reasoning that is not manifestly redundant (redundant like '/pq/, ergo /p/') does provide some jot of novelty or nontriviality; the categorical syllogisms (such as All A is B, all B is C, ergo all A is C) are deductive forms designed to assure some modicum of novelty in corollarial conclusions; and massive, brute-force corollarial computation may bring things to light that we couldn't find otherwise (it still plays a big role in the proof of the four-color theorem). What Peirce says is that sometimes corollarial deduction won't suffice, and that then theorematic deduction is needed in order to bring something to light.

Whew. I'm not sure I've addressed all in your post, but I'll let it stand for now and retract who knows what tomorrow.

Best, Ben