Dear Ben, lists -

Thanks for two mails. The first largely resumes parts of my chapter and indeed
Peirce's basic ideas of theorematicity - although it is not entirely correct
that P saw his distinction as relative to intellect so that which is
corollarial to a grownup will be theorematic to a child. Peirce insisted that
theorematicity consists in the addition of something new to a problem - an
additional object, manipulation, abstraction, perspective, etc. If once you
know which such addition to add in the single case, the remaining problem
becomes corollarial, but that has nothing to do with the intellect of the
reasoner. A stupid but well-informed person may repeat Euclid's theorematic
proof of the angular sum of the triangle, while an uninformed genius may be
unable to find that proof - and still the proof requires the addition of
auxiliary lines to the triangle no matter what.

But you address other important things. It seems as if, to some degree, Peirce
without saying it assumes something like the discovery/justification
distinction. When saying mathematical reasoning is deductive, this seems to be
a justification claim merely, because in the actual procedure of searching for
the proof of a theorem, Peirce realizes there may be an abductive
trial-and-error phase, particularly in the theorematic cases where it is not
evident which new element to add to your problem (is there also something akin
to an inductive phase in mathematical proofmaking, e.g. when mathematicians
compare and evaluate their result with respect to its potential effects in
other areas of math?). So even if mathematics is the science that proceeds by
deductive reasoning, there are non-deductive phases in it (discovery), even if
the results are deductively valid (justification).

My idea with Wegener's map was, of course, to find a theorematic example from
applied math. In such a case both the mathematical formalism (here,
approximately Euclidean geometry) and the basic assumptions of the material
field (geology) must be part of the status quo to which a new element,
manipulation, principle etc. should be added. The transformation making the two
continent coasts meet is trivial in the Euclidean sense, but the change in
underlying geological ontology (from the axiom that continents are eternally
stable to the axiom that they float on the surface of the earth) indeed
requires the addition of a new idea. In some sense, the radicality of this new
idea is eased by the triviality of the transformation in purely geometrical
terms. What prompted the idea of generalizing the mathematical notions of
corollarial/theorematic to the applied sciences, of course, is Peirce's
classificaiton of the sciences where math is number one, implying that all
other sciences wihtout exception use mathematical structures - but
simultaneously that generalization cannot take place without introdcuding basic
principles of those "lower" sciences, thereby modifying the corr/theor.
distinction to some degree because it now has to involve ontological
assumptions regarding positive knowledge. But still I think it makes good sense.

Best

Frederik, lists,

I'm dissatisfied with my previous post in this thread, I feel like I've missed
the forest for the trees. While I'm not convinced that there's a theorematic
applied deduction in the Wegener example, still, the idea of continental drift
is not merely a simplifying explanation of the fit between continental
coastlines, it's also an idea that anybody would call nontrivial. It involves a
complex new idea, and, if true (as it turned out to be), would foreseeably be a
basis and foundation for much further discovery.  Its nontriviality doesn't
give it intrinsic abductive merit in the way that its plausibility does, but
said nontriviality still makes it something to be prized if it pans out (as it
did). But so far, that's the nontriviality of prospective discoveries, what
about a nontriviality of how one got to the abduction of continental drift? I'm
trying to think of some parallelism between its abduction and theorematic
deduction, so as to analogize the idea of abductive nontriviality to deductive
theorematicity. Roughly, something involving nontrivial changes of standing
beliefs about geology, changes equivalent to the idea of continental drift.
Well, when even I think I'm talking too much, it's time I call it a day.

Best, Ben

:

Franklin, lists,

I think that Frederik is largely assuming Peirce's terminology. Peirce uses the
words 'schema' and 'diagram' pretty much interchangeably.

Here are some key quotes on which Frederik is basing his discussion of the
theormatic-corollarial distinction.
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/corollarial-reasoning

I once did a summary (footnoted with online links) of key points (at least as
they seemed to me at the time); here it is with a few adjustments of the links:

Peirce argued that, while finally all deduction depends in one way or another
on mental experimentation on schemata or diagrams,[1] still in corollarial
deduction "it is only necessary to imagine any case in which the premisses are
true in order to perceive immediately that the conclusion holds in that case",
whereas theorematic deduction "is deduction in which it is necessary to
experiment in the imagination upon the image of the premiss in order from the
result of such experiment to make corollarial deductions to the truth of the
conclusion."[2] He held that corollarial deduction matches Aristotle's
conception of direct demonstration, which Aristotle regarded as the only
thoroughly satisfactory demonstration, while theorematic deduction (A) is the
kind more prized by mathematicians, (B) is peculiar to mathematics,[1] and (C)
involves in its course the introduction of a lemma or at least a definition
uncontemplated in the thesis (the proposition that is to be proved); in
remarkable cases that definition is of an abstraction that "ought to be
supported by a proper postulate."[3]

[1] Peirce, C. S., from section dated 1902 by editors in the "Minute Logic"
manuscript, Collected Papers v. 4, paragraph 233, quoted only in part
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-minute-logic-chapter-iii-simplest-mathematics
 in "Corollarial Reasoning" in the Commens Dictionary of Peirce's Terms,
2003–present, Mats Bergman and Sami Paavola, editors, University of Helsinki.
FULL QUOTE:
https://archive.org/stream/TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3/Newman-TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3#page/n366/mode/1up
 in The World of Mathematics, Vol. 3, p. 1776.
[2] Peirce, C. S., the 1902 Carnegie Application, published in The New Elements
of Mathematics, Carolyn Eisele, editor, quoted in "Corollarial Reasoning"
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-carnegie-institution-correspondence-4
 in the Commens Dictionary of Peirce's Terms, also transcribed by Joseph M.
Ransdell, see "From Draft A - MS L75.35-39" in Memoir 19
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-06.htm#m19<http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-06.htm#m19>
 (once there, scroll down).
[3] Peirce, C. S., 1901 manuscript "On the Logic of Drawing History from
Ancient Documents, Especially from Testimonies', The Essential Peirce v. 2, see
p. 96. See quote
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-logic-drawing-history-ancient-documents-especially-testimonies-logic-histor-5
 in "Corollarial Reasoning" in the Commens Dictionary of Peirce's Terms.

The introduction of an idea beyond the explicit conditions of a problem and not
contemplated in the thesis to be proved is precisely a 'complexifying' step.
One might think of it as a leveraging of imagination to deepen understanding,
by which vague remark I'm trying to get at the idea that such complexity is
very different from the tedious complication of hundreds or thousands of
trivial computations, computations that need to be done sometimes even in pure
mathematics, where it is known as 'brute force'. Tedious computation used to be
done by people called 'computers' up until computing machines came into use;
part of Peirce's burden at the Coast Survey was that there came a time when he
had to do his own tedious, lengthy computations and, worse, he found that his
computing power was no longer what it was when he was younger; errors crept in.

In CP 4.233 (again
https://archive.org/stream/TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3/Newman-TheWorldOfMathematicsVolume3#page/n366/mode/1up)
 in "The Essence of Mathematics", Peirce says,

[....] Just now, I wish to point out that after the schema has been constructed
according to the precept virtually contained in the thesis, the assertion of
the theorem is not evidently true, even for the individual schema; nor will any
amount of hard thinking of the philosophers' corollarial kind ever render it
evident. Thinking in general terms is not enough. It is necessary that
something should be DONE. In geometry, subsidiary lines are drawn. In algebra
permissible transformations are made. Thereupon, the faculty of observation is
called into play. Some relation between the parts of the schema is remarked.
But would this relation subsist in every possible case? Mere corollarial
reasoning will sometimes assure us of this. But, generally speaking, it may be
necessary to draw distinct schemata to represent alternative possibilities.
[....]

The above is an example of why I keep talking about complexity in the sense of
nontriviality. A theorem in the old sense, that is, as opposed to a corollary,
is a proposition whose proof requires, at least as a practical matter, some
'complexifying', active new-idea-adding experimentation of theorematic
reasoning. Such reasoning does not just add steps and operations, but
incorporates ideas in ways that enrich the understanding, make 'new gestalts',
to borrow some lingo that may sound hokey today. The mathematical theorem's
nontriviality is its character of being a mathematical theorem in the sense of
not being a mathematical corollary; it's such a theorem's non-corollarity. The
theorem's nontiviality reflects, is, in a sense, the needed theorematicity of
its proof, and for that very reason it reflects also the prospect of its
occasioning in turn further theorematic proofs of further theorems, whatever
they might be, as opposed to mere corollaries; its all about deepened
understandings, as opposed to merely additional tidbits, soever multitudinous,
of information. It takes nontrivia to make nontrivia. It's true that I bring in
a methodology-of-inquiry perspective in addition to the critique-of-arguments
perspective taken by Peirce in analyzing theorematic and corollarial
reasonings. But I think that it does matter in understanding the role of
theorematic reasoning in mathematics, and in relating the ideas of theorematic
and corollarial reasonings to the common parlance (at least what I've been told
of it) of mathematicians, where 'nontriviality', 'depth', 'fecundity' are
prized characters of proven propositions.

It's not that the theorematic deduction brings something to light while the
corollarial deduction brings nothing to light. It's a matter of degree as you
say; indeed what seems theorematic to a schoolchild may well seem corollarial
to a mathematician. Peirce generally discusses reasoning and inquiry in the
context of discovery rather than in the context of justification, as Frederik
pointed out; and we never entirely depart the context of discovery even when
we're focused on justification. Anyway, corollarial reasoning that is not
manifestly redundant (redundant like 'pq, ergo p') does provide some jot of
novelty or nontriviality; the categorical syllogisms (such as All A is B, all B
is C, ergo all A is C) are deductive forms designed to assure some modicum of
novelty in corollarial conclusions; and massive, brute-force corollarial
computation may bring things to light that we couldn't find otherwise (it still
plays a big role in the proof of the four-color theorem). What Peirce says is
that sometimes corollarial deduction won't suffice, and that then theorematic
deduction is needed in order to bring something to light.

Whew. I'm not sure I've addressed all in your post, but I'll let it stand for
now and retract who knows what tomorrow.

Best, Ben