Dear Ben Novak, list,

As regards an explanation A's implying the surprising phenomenon C, that seems more on the level of implication than of an actual inference, which would be the mind's moving from A as an accepted premiss to conclude at least tentatively C. The mind already believes C and does not yet believe or suspect A (that happens instead in the abductive conclusion). I'm not sure that Peirce always thought that that implication had to be strictly deductive (he just says "a matter of course") but I'll have to dig into "On the Logic of Drawing History from Ancient Documents" where he goes into that relation in some detail if I recall correctly.

But let's say that it _/is/_ deductive, and that it is a deductive implication even if not an actual deduction. Sometimes one needs to do a kind of proof of concept. One thinks roughly that a certain hypothesis would entail the phenomenon, but one needs to show the entailment clearly. This proof may take mathematical form, and so on. It won't always be so comfortable and easy.

In the deduction of further implications of the hypothesis once accepted (albeit on probation), it is not always so easy to find distinctive implications unimplied by competing explanations or by accepted theory.

Anyway, generally, the challenge of a heuristically worthwhile deduction is to reach a new (or nontrivial) perspective without actually concluding in a claim new to, i.e., unentailed by, the premisses. In seeking a new perspective, one is trying to get something like information, news, even though the deduction is uninformative in the Shannon sense. It is this sense of seeking news that I'm magnifying into an (mild) emotion of impatience or suspense.

That's very easy in the case of categorical syllogisms, and the novelty is minimal there, but still observable:
All men are mortal.
Socrates is a man.
Ergo———Socrates is mortal.

Of course there are all kinds of logic problems where the solution is not so obvious.

You wrote,

   Therefore, I ask: If one assumed that "If A, then C would be a
   matter of course," and then deduced from A that one should find not
   only C, but also D and F, then when one checked and found that D or
   F were not found in the circumstances in which one found C, would
   then one have an attenuative deduction situation? Or would one only
   have the falsification of hypothesis A?

If, from A one attenuatively deduces D, and next finds D false upon observation, then from not-D one attenuatively deduces not-A; A is disproven (i.e., falsified).

I should add that I've found only one place where Peirce wrote of a new aspect as part of deduction's function. See Appendix below.

Best, Ben

Appendix: Peirce wrote in his 1905 letter draft to Mario Calderoni (CP 8.209)
http://www.commens.org/dictionary/entry/quote-letter-draft-mario-calderoni-0

   [....] The second kind of reasoning is deduction, or necessary
   reasoning. It is applicable only to an ideal state of things, or to
   a state of things in so far as it may conform to an ideal. It merely
   gives a new aspect to the premisses. [.... End quote]

In mentioning the "new aspect," Peirce was stating something that many have noticed. Technically it doesn't apply to all deduction (a deduction with the form /pq/ ergo /p/ is valid but brings no new aspect to the premisses), but just to deduction with some heuristic value (and, I'd say, among such deductions, more to attenuative deduction than to equipollential deduction).