Dear Ben Novak,

I haven't been following that thread carefully, since I've gotten busy with practical matters.

On re-reading my previous message, I find that I misplaced a phrase (in one of my two uses of it) in such a way that you may have thought that I was criticizing you, suggesting that you were trapped in a method of tenacity or authority, or whatever. I don't think that at all. Here it is with the phrase inserted in boldface into its proper place:

   [....] Peirce of course would have been interested in all that,
   though it would take more a inspirational or exemplificative role
   than a dispositive role in his /philosophy/_ of how one _/ought/_ to
   think. **To pursue an abductive trail,** one needs to be not too
   trapped in inquiry methods of tenacity, authority, or the a priori
   [....]
   [End quote]

As to my question, I think I was getting myself into some contortions about deduction because in some half-conscious way I was still introducing the idea of conflict. Now, Peirce said that deduction is for prediction. That by itself is enough to suggest that an emotion of impatience belongs to the occasion of deduction — an impatience with the vagueness of the future, or the coyness of the present in telling us it — one doesn't want to wait for nature to take its course, one wants to find out ahead of time, on the basis of accumulated data, what is the fate, for example of the Milky Way. (It turns out to be on a collision course with the Andromeda galaxy.)

— In (attenuative) deduction one notices certain necessary but perspectivally new consequents about what is going to happen. (To reduce impatience.) — In induction one expects certain unnecessary consequents sufficient for the antecedents, but also similar to them, about what is actually happening. (To reduce feeling of a skew or arbitrariness.) — In abduction (a.k.a. retroduction) one supposes certain contingent, 'can-be', but also particularly plausible, naturally simple, consequents about what has happened. (To reduce feeling of surprise, perplexity, conflict with assumptions or expectations.)

Tom Wyrick's comments might be taken as relevant to my question if one thought that I was pursuing a question of psychology. The philosophical study of semiotics, inference, etc., is at a cenoscopic level, concerned with positive phenomena in general, not with special classes or populations of concrete phenomena. One wouldn't expect questions about statistical inference and its principles to depend on results in brain studies any more than one would expect number theory to depend on results in brain studies. If brain study conclusions could be used to support conclusions in number theory, I doubt that number theorists would be too proud to use such brain studies. What the brain studies may help resolve instead are questions of /implementations/_ of logic, semiotics, statistical inference, number theory, etc., in homo sapiens. They might help show specific, mathematically or logically arbitrary skews of such implementations, and so on.

The positivists divided sciences into formal (i.e., mathematics and deductive logic) and factual. I never got clear on where they put philosophy, I suspect they hoped to make it into a formal science. Peirce divided discovery sciences into mathematics, cenoscopy (_/philosophia prima/ _) http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/cenoscopy , and idioscopy (physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, etc.). Understanding Peirce's views on this helps clarify his approach to (philosophical) logic as formal semiotic - the formal study of signs and semiosis, a study not resting _/logically/_ on neurology, psychology, linguistics, or sociology, but sometimes related to them genealogically, in drawing on them for examples, generalizing from them, where the word 'generalization' is used in Peirce's preferred sense of _/selective/_ generalization of characters to a wider domain. I've argued a number of times here at peirce-l (somebody disagreed) that we should feel free to look at actual concrete historical cases without worrying too much about whether they'll bias us in philosophical inquiry. I think Peirce had no hesitation about it. On the other hand I think that Peirce was quite right to keep track of whether the dependence of one science on another is a logical dependence or a dependence for examples and inspiration.

Best, Ben